PC Randomly Shut Off?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hellsrage, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Just a few minutes ago my PC just up and shut off in the middle of use?

What could cause this and should I be alarmed(I already am anyways lol)?

The main thing I'm worried about is the PSU(500w) I had heard complaints about the PSU with this PC. I have no clue what brand it is the PSU I was expecting in this PC wasn't what I got mine had no labels like the one from the pictures. Just a sticker for inspection.

Here are the PC spec.

Motherboard: Gigabyte M68MT-S2
    Processor: AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    PSU: 500w

So what do you think?

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Can you describe the shutdown?Did it completely shut off or go through the shutdown sequence? And what were you doing at the time?

Should you be alarmed? dunno yet:-D Your power supply should be plenty for your hardware,other than that its impossible to know the quality of the power supply,especially without knowing the name of the computer or the name of the power supply.

3. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

It just shutdown no warning just OFF. I was watching a video on YouTube. Edit:I did notice after shut off the components inside still had power as I saw some of the LEDs on. But the PC itself was off the fans ect.

The name of my PC is CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2098 (GU2098).

I'm going to open the case and see if maybe there is a model number I can find but what a reviewer found was that it had a Turbolink 500W ATX Power Supply. The pics from the previews also showed that PSU but mine looks nothing like it.

I'll up date with a pic of my PSU and a pic of the PSU that should have come with it.

4. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Okay I took it off my PC as all view able sides had no marking that would identify what PSU it was.

And on the other side was the manufactures label and it indeed is not the one people who had reviewed the PC got. They must have changed it anyways here is the model of this PSU.

Xtreme Gear 500W ATX Model# XG-P500 (I've included a picture of it)

Attached Files:

5. Rikky

Yeah those aren't great PSU's at all,xtreme gear are part of cyber power and they stick those PSU's in there to save money,I actually can't find a single good word anywhere about them all the reviews are negative,saying that its operating way under it's max potential so it should work fine.

Shutting off without warning is bad but it doesn't always mean a hardware problem.

First go to to control panel,system,advanced system settings,startup and recovery,settings and set it to small memory dump and uncheck automatically restart hopefully we'll get a dump file next time it shutsdown,the dump file will be located in C:windows/minidump if you get one attach it to a post as a zip file.

Make sure you clean out all the fans and grills and make sure all the fans are spinning then download and install speedfan from the download section add your temps with your next post.

The next stage is to rule out each component in the computer with tests for stability and overheating,it will take quite a long time and quite a bit of patience,I don't mind detailing each test if you want to rule other components as the fault.

Since you've only had the problem once I would wait for the problem to repeat itself and hopefully we'll get a dump file as well,it could have been a one off random error or power surge so I wouldn't worry during this time either:)

EDIT make sure you have a decent surge protector also;)

6. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Yeah I was afraid of that when purchasing but I looked at prices and decent PSUs aren't to expensive should I have to replace it I wont be breaking the bank. Would be a shame though Cyber Power does a great wiring job.

Okay changed the setting also automatically restart was already unchecked if that means anything.

As for Speed Fan the temps are....

Temp1:39C
    Temp2:47C
    Temp3:40C
    HD0:31C
    GPU:36C

They do move around but at the time that's what they were. Hopefully that's what you wanted I personally have no clue what that means or rather what the temps are assigned too.

Yeah I don'y know if the surge protector I'm using is good but I do have my PC on one.

EDIT: Yeah I don't really like Xtreme Gear and go figure they changed the PSU to them they also through in a keyboard and mouse by them. The keyboard is as good as any regular keyboard but the mouse was meh. I'm using the keyboard for now but I picked up a good mouse before the PC got to me and it's a very good mouse for the price.

7. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

So are those temps normal?

Also what would be a good PSU you could recommend? I would like to stay around $50 if possible.

8. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Ugh I just launched speedfan and it's reading temp2 at 50c? There was also a flaming symbol next to it? :confused

9. Rikky

Don't worry about that your temperatures look fine.;) The high temp is your CPU as you use it,they can get much hotter than that.

10. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Alright I didn't know that. lol

And I ordered a new PSU for my rig just to be safe since my current one is crap.

I got a XFX Core Edition PRO550W.

11. Rikky

That's expensive for piece of mind,I generally recommend decent PSU's before the purchase,you've only had one crash and are not sure its even the psu I wouldn't have upgraded it especially since the psu came as part of a pre build.

I'm sorry if I gave you that impression,your hardware is pretty low spec and thus doesn't draw a lot of power I'd estimate around 150W so that psu should be fine.

Its totally up to you of course,its your money and piece of mind:)

EDIT if auto restart is unchecked go to C:windows/minidump,look for a mini dump and post if present,its hard to diagnose with just one file though you need to debug a couple of crashes to be sure.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  12. Rikky

Sorry looking at your system again it should draw about 250W under full load.

13. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Well the main reason I picked up a higher PSU was for down the line I plan on building onto the PC so that PSU will be used to its fullest. And the computers main complaint was about PSU failure so I would rather be safe then sorry and this thing is on the very bottom of a PSU on list I found recommending you replace it ASAP.

There was no "minidump" folder in C:Windows?

Edit:The Xtreme PSU was on the bottom not the new one.

14. Hellsrage

Hellsrage Private E-2

Oh and the PSU will only end up costing me $45 after I get the rebate as before you saw the link there was also a $10 off promo code and free shipping. Since then not only has the price gone up but there is no free shipping now.

Not a bad deal for considering how much it cost now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds