PC Restarting Constantly ! please help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alexs464, Jan 8, 2006.

1. alexs464

alexs464 Private E-2

Last nite my CPU temperature went from 40 C t 90 C, all of the sudden idont know why, so i shut down the pc. After that, every time i start the pc, everything loads until the desktop, well i see my desktop for 10 seconds that it was a single short "beep" and the pc restarts... once it gets o the desktop, it beeps and restarts again and so on. I disabled the XP's auto reboot otion, so i could see the error. Here it was was witten on that blue screen:
    STOP : 0xC0000005, 0xA99AFF0, OxAF466BA8, OxOOOOOOOO
    ADDRESS: BA99AFFO base at BA99800....

that's about it (oh btw, after disabling the auto restart, the short beep turned into a long one, and its'beeping" all the time during he blue screen, so it wont stop beeping till i shut down the pc.

I got a new cooling fan, so CPU is at 65 - 70C, and it works fine in safe mode only. I can't run my PC unless its in safe mode.

PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!

here is the pc info:

proc: 2*Pentium D 2800MHz (L1 cache: 0 bytes, L2 cache: 1.00 Mb) Ext.clock: 200 MHz
    mb: D945PVS Intel Corporation
    ram: 2.04 Gb (2 093 100 Kb) DIMM1: 1.02 Gb DIMM2: 1.02 Gb
    hd: WD 120Gb and WD 300GB
    cd-rom: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG (D:)
    video c: VisionTek XTASY X600 XT: 1024 x 768 - True Color (32 bit)
    O.S. : Windows XP Professional U.S. English 5.1 (build 2600 Service Pack 2) installed: 23-Dec-2005

thanx everyone :)

2. alexs464

alexs464 Private E-2

thanx :)

i have 500W power supply, that webste recommends 300W for me...
    does it make any difference?

3. Batteries

Batteries Private E-2

Sure, it makes a difference.

A good 500W power supply is light years ahead of even a good 300W unit. I don't see how the power supply would be the culprit in this case, unless it was a failing/malfuntioning unit. Otherwise, I'm guessing its something other than the powersupply.

Do you know which company makes it?

4. alexs464

alexs464 Private E-2

it is seated properly. what do you mean by : "Doesit run of a 3 or 4 pin molex ?" ? and here is the power supply : The Best Power MT 500P... :(

5. alexs464

alexs464 Private E-2

BTW, ohh, herer what SPEED FAN tells me:

Fan 1 : 1924 RPM
    Fan 2 : 0
    Fan 3 : 0
    Fan 4 : 0

... what are the other fans?( i have 2 extra fans in the back panel of the pc)

6. Batteries

Batteries Private E-2

It's hard to give advice for such an odd case, but I would start with the RAM. Take out all of your RAM modules and re-insert them. I doubt this is the issue, but I guess it could be. I don't see why this problem would suddenly occur unless you acquired a serious virus, or something burned out/failed.

7. alexs464

alexs464 Private E-2

i already did the RAM thing. i re-set my bios. i changed a fan ( i put a powerfull one for my cpu), i cleaned the paste from the cpu/heatsink, and put the paste exactly as they told me to on the website... i just stuck an ice pack in my pc and the temperture went down from 66 to 57 C. Obviously it is an overheating problem , but i just dont get why it started like that all of the sudden, the pc and everything in it is brand new... :(

8. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

The First thing I would do:
    R & R your CPU/HSF clean/and reapply Thermal paste, for most CPU 90C is about the temp where CPU's die.
    Even 65-70C is Too hot for most & most likely would perform poorly if at all!
    What are you or How are you reading your CPU temps?

Your MOBO manual should provide info on your Beep Codes, those are for diagnostic purposes.

As for your PSU?? when in doubt test it. I dont see the PSU as factor in your High CPU temps.

Ya didnt say what brand & model you have, only that it's 500W
    The total watts is so improtant as is the how many amps the 12 volt rails can provide, todays systems require minimum 30+ amps on the +12volt rail
    It's best to avoid Generic PSU's as the quality is usually lacking, when a PSU fails it can take other hardware with it.

9. alexs464

alexs464 Private E-2

i cant find the PSU info.. all i see written on it is : The Best Power MT 500P
    ac 110-220 v , 6A 4A...

i cleaned the CPU/HSF and re-applied the paste. i acually went to the paste's website http://www.ocztechnology.com/displaypage.php?name=ultra5instructions and applied it exactly as they described.

my manual says that the BEEP is due CPU overheating. when i was buying the parts of my pc, i understood that my cpu cannot burn, because the pc turns off automatically when the cpu reaches its highest temperature allowed.

i checked the PSU fans, they seem to be spinning, the CPU fan spins as well , and the 2 little fans on the back panel are working. the fan on the side pannel is working too...

as i said i put an ice pack in the pc and now the temperature went down to 55 C, from 65-69... but i ant keep an ice pack there, so... i dont know what else to do. and i monitor my cpu speed with SPEEDFAN, http://www.majorgeeks.com/download337.html

CPU: 54 C
    Local : 35 C
    Remote2: 30 C
    HD1 : 37 C

10. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I'd Buy some Artic Silver 5 or Artic Ceramic Thermal paste.

OCZ in the past has had recall of thier Thermal paste:
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles938/
    Maybe thier up to thier old tricks again like leaving out the silver

Other factor's to consider
    Room temp
    Case airflow equal air in equal air out
    What happen to temp when side cover is removed?
    Maybe your temp reading are Wrong
    Check temps buy other means, Whats the Bios temps ? or use Everest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds