pc restarting playing games.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slimmatt01, Jul 4, 2010.

1. slimmatt01

slimmatt01 Private E-2

k my spec is .

phenom 2 x2 550be
    4gig ram branded.
    radeon 5770 1gig xfx
    160gig sata hd
    onboard sound rt hd
    ocz 700w modxstream pro psu

problem is when i play a game the pc restarts with no error. ive got it set to halt on errors also tryed it the other way.

i had the chip oc to 3.8 but dident up the voltage . ive since put it down to 3.6 and havent crashed since.

so is it a voltage thing and if so what do i up it to?

ty in advance.

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

When you just up the fsb you also overclock your memory and video memory, ram timing needs to be changed, Im not good enough to help you thru this, post in overclocking. ed

3. ScoobySnack

ScoobySnack Private First Class

From what you describe and your system specs, it looks like your psu is being pushed past what it can safely handle when you overclock to 3.8ghz on your cpu.

Even with your cpu at 3.6ghz and your system apparently stable, you should seriously consider upgrading your psu. Judging from your system specs, you need a ~800w psu with at least 50-75A along the +12V rails. The amperage is as/more important than the wattage with a power hungry (or really any) system. If you want an example look at this psu, click the specifications tab, and scroll down to output. It would easily power your system and still leave you room to upgrade in the future.

Not to be the voice of doom, but a psu that cannot stably power your hardware could crash and take other hardware with it, becoming a very expensive problem. I'd not put anymore demand on it than you have to until you can upgrade.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds