PC restarts insted of shutting down

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sem, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Sem

Sem Private E-2

I have'nt been on here in months and have kinda forgotten which forum this should go in.
    If this is the wrong one then I apologise.

I have a 6/7 year old PC. I'm using Windows ME.
    In the last 3/4 weeks, each time I go to shut down my PC, it goes through the motions and then restarts as if I had hit the reset button. It's not the end of the world but it is becoming a bit annoying. Any ideas?

I have run AVG Free, Spybot and Ad-Aware and they've all come up clean.

2. Flushed

Flushed Private E-2

There can be a few reasons for this. I think the main one is incompatability issues with regards to drivers, software or plug and play devices.

Have you installed anything new recently, or when the problems started? Or updated drivers? If so you could try uninstalling these or rolling back the drivers.

You could try using a tool that forces a shutdown. This is one from karens website that manages various shutdown functions. I use it so I can keep the sutdown etc icons on my desktop. (Not sure if it works with me though, if not google search for forcing shutdown software and you should be able to find another.)

Let us know how you got on. I`m sure we can fix it.

3. Sem

Sem Private E-2

I'm a bit busy at the mo. I'll try later on. Thanks for your reply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds