PC shutdown after some games run 1-2 minutes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by piratesbooty, Jul 17, 2012.

1. piratesbooty

piratesbooty Private E-2

I got a new CPU yesterday and slapped it in my system (Phenom X4 965 125w). Once I had done that, I played TF2 for about 4-5 hours without issues. After getting bored I decided to test the new hardware out by playing a game that I could only play on low with good 40-60 FPS: The Secret World. I'm running it DX9 with settings set to medium now and easily after 1-3 minutes the entire system freezes for 20-30 seconds then shuts down. Alarmed, I ran core temp to check my CPU temps because it was the newest component, no problem 36-40 idle and only reaching around 45-48 while playing for those few minutes (stock heatsink/fan). Another thing I notice is that there are slight clicking/switching noises (not constant and not like a buzzing, just every 30-45 seconds at random) going off in the case from the game rendering my character to the final shutdown. From the "jist" of it, I'm leaning towards possibly the PSU going bad.

Here's my list of things to check in order:

1. GPU temps (I honestly don't believe its this, but can't be 100%)
    2. update BIOS if an update is available (I've seen in a couple instances where this has been the solution)
    3. replace PSU
    4. replace mobo

My system:

Mobo: Asus M4A87TD EVO (installed about 6 months ago)
    CPU: 3.40 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 965 (got yesterday)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (got a month or two ago)
    PSU: Can't remember brand, but its a 650w. (installed about 6 months ago)
    RAM: 8 gigs, can't remember brand, will open case to check if necessary. (installed about 6 months ago)

Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks.

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

3. Goldenskull

You should be in the clear with your PSU depends on how many fans you got running.

You should be able to play just about any game on high with the Graphics card you have i have a 550ti and can play just a about any game on high.

4. piratesbooty

piratesbooty Private E-2

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA (all stock fans)

Temps idle: 31C on CPU, 31C on GPU

Going to get temps under the Secret World load. Quick question, is there a way to log with speccy? In case of probable shut down, I would like to see where the system was at right before the shut down.

Also, one more note that I forgot to add. Once shut down occurs, I have to unplug power cable from power supply for ~30 seconds then plug back in before my machine can power.

5. Goldenskull

If you want to load the Speccy on to here

Go to Speccy

In Speccy Go to File Then Save Text File then you can edit it if you want then add to attachments on this site.

6. piratesbooty

piratesbooty Private E-2

returning from the shutdown. CPU and MOBO temps were about the same at 36-40C. GPU went to about 57-60 then the shut down occured.

7. piratesbooty

piratesbooty Private E-2

this time there was no freeze either. just immediate shut down.

I would test more games to see if its a client issue (don't believe it is, people with the same components list no problem with client, also have reinstalled and repaired client to no avail). But I currently don't have any games installed other than those two and I don't feel like waiting for a few hours for BF3 download.

8. Goldenskull

Your CPU is over heating i would say Check your heat sink and make sure your fan is running.

9. piratesbooty

piratesbooty Private E-2

at 36-40C?? Fan is running, heatsink is seated properly...

so, that is not the problem.

10. piratesbooty

piratesbooty Private E-2

this is also with Secret World running, 36-40C right before shut down. idle 31C.

11. Goldenskull

Then i have no idea might be the game it self.Might want to contact the makers about the issue.

12. piratesbooty

piratesbooty Private E-2

I'll send them a shout but its very concerning as the client doesn't just crash, but completely shuts down my PC. I also checked my BIOS version with the latest release and I'm up to date. Before I continue to replace PSU then MOBO, I'm going to attempt a couple more games to see if it is just isolated to The Secret World.

Let me know if you guys have any more idea.

13. piratesbooty

piratesbooty Private E-2

update: ran 3dmark11. ran fine for about 3 minutes then shut down again. Therefore it is not client related nor CPU related. It is more than likely GPU problem or GPU overheating or PSU. Any tips?

14. piratesbooty

piratesbooty Private E-2

update: attempted to log GPU temps using Everest Ultimate. However, as I started the 3dMark11, it didn't fully load the first benchmark before shutting down. upon reviewing logs, the few second before and during the loading sequence my GPU temp was 33-35C (about the same for mobo and CPU temps at the same time). This tells me it may very well not be the GPU overheating. So far my gut is telling me (and hoping) that it's the PSU. BUT, thats a gut feeling. I'm terrified as to what it could be and still having no luck finding the culprit.

Please please please help me out. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds