PC shuts down immediately

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pande2112, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Pande2112

Pande2112 Private E-2

Hello All,
    I have a self-built PC that has been running fine for over 2 years. It has an Asus P5W DH Deluxe MB with 2 gig of ram and a dual core cpu. My problem is that now it shuts down immediately (5-10 sec.) after pressing the power switch. After some investigating, I think it is the power supply. After unplugging almost all devices with no good results, I unplugged the 4 pin 12V power plug and the machine stays on but does not boot, which is normal, I think. Any ideas? New PSU? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. locodave

locodave Corporal

Some bios will let you see the CPU temp. I'd go into bios, watch the temp. If you can't see the temp in bios. Pull the heat sink and fan off the CPU and look to see if the heat sink paste is bad.

If you put too much heat sink paste when you build it. The mother board could be damaged. You'll see it when you look.

3. Pande2112

Pande2112 Private E-2

Thanks for your reply. The machine is not on long enough for the CPU to overheat. This machine never gets to post and I can"t get into the bios. After pressing the power button, the fans spin up but within 5-10 seconds the machine shuts down. The MOBO splash screen comes up momentarily. This machine has been running fine for over 2 years but now this started 2 days ago. I unplugged every device including HD's, video card, pulled the VC and reseated. Pulled RAM and reseated that, moved RAM around and pulled it altogether. That causes a no RAM set of beeps. All that remains is that when I pull the 4 pin 12V power plug, the machine stays on but obviously will not boot.

Thanks again

4. locodave

locodave Corporal

Just because the fan spins dosen't mean the PSU is good. My 1st build I forgot the heat sink paste. Seen those heat sink pads get burn thru. Over-heating CPU can have them shut down like you decribe. Easy check in watching the bios temp if able to.

Comp-Usa by me will check a PSU. Anyplace by you to do the same? If you don't have a spare PSU to use on a test. Sounds like a new PSU. I'd also see how long the warranty is on the one you have. Instead of waiting for a replacement. Buy one to get you up and running. When the replacement comes. You have a spare PSU.

5. Pande2112

Pande2112 Private E-2

Again, thanks for the reply. How fast does a CPU get too hot? Less than 5 seconds? I honestly don't know, just asking. I can't get to the BIOS, it never gets to that point. Asking around and talking to an IT guy at work, I think I narrowed it down to PSU or the MOBO. I will try a PSU first.

Paul

6. locodave

locodave Corporal

When I built my 1st PC, years ago from TigerDirect and I'm typing on it now. ( Bought a kit and didn't know bupkee that a kit ment they took stuff off the shelf, go for it big boy. Have fun, lol. My 1st new computer. ) Didn't know about the heat sink paste. It overheated in around 20 seconds and shut down. I had to be quick to acess the bios to see it. Once in, it would show it getting hotter by the second. I am thinking your power supply is toast, use the warrantee if able, to have a back up power supply. You paid for it initally.

You would have to hold down the specific F key when booting up to get into the bios.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds