pc shuts down then restarts after power is cut?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by h2k47, Jul 24, 2008.

1. h2k47

h2k47 Private E-2

Hello all,

running into an annoying issue when starting the pc everytime i disconnect the power. the pc shuts down and then restart by itself with the error 'CMOS Checksum error-Defaults loaded' and at the bottome 'press F1 to continue,Del to enter setup' . i have also noticed on the same screen that DDR SDRAM speed which is 333mb is written in 'white'? . After i press F1 , the PC loads normally and XP reads 768 MB as usual.

i have tried to replace the battery but it didnt work. i have also tried to disable halt-on to no errors in bios but with no clue. It seems that bios is losing whatever setting that has been changed once the power is disconnected.

Specs are:

-RAM : 256 MB DDR RAM PC2700 167.1Mhz x3
    -mobo : Albatron px865 p(e)(pro)
    -processor: intel pentium 4 2,8 GHZ 848P

anyone can help please?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

First, Welcome to Major Geeks :wave :major
    Second, this doesn't make sense:
    What does this mean? > "...starting the PC everytime I disconnect the power"
    And if the power is disconnected, the PC cannot turn itself back on. Disconnecting the power means the power cord has been physically removed from the PC. It cannot turn on if the power cord is removed. So, please clarify this.
    Another thing:
    If it says DDR SDRAM speed on the screen (and many motherboards post this info) it is reporting the speed of the memory as being 333mhz and not 333mb. So this is OK. But regardless of all this, you do appear to have some type of post/BIOS issue. Please clarify the top statement and I'll do some research on your particular model of motherboard and I'll post anything I find.

BTW- is this a new problem or has this been there from the start? Is this a new motherboard or an older one?

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Have to agree with dbl.

Going to make some assumptions about your post;

1. you have 3 x 256Mb Modules of RAM (giving 768Mb);
    2. it is indeed the speed you are reading 333mhz (you have DDR RAM thus double data rate, meaning 2 x 167MHz= 333MHz per clock cycle; and
    3. you mean "power down" and it then restarts? If you turn off the rear power or unplug it it is impossible for your system to restart.

4. dnnyo

dnnyo Private First Class

Do/did you cut off the power without shutting down first?
    And then next after that, upon start-up, then the PC shuts itself down?
    Mostly curious because I did that .......

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Maybe h2k47 meant that when he selects "shut down" from the menu, the computer reboots. English might not be his native tongue and he is thinking power down rather than shutting off the power by pulling the plug out of the mains/outlet.

Powering down the computer causes the computer to reboot? Then the error appears?

6. h2k47

h2k47 Private E-2

i am so sorry for all the fuzz , and yea english isnt my FL.

As for the problem , it is now gone , it seems that i flipped the new battery
    accidently and placed it so it wasnt being recognized by the
    system.when i put back in the right direction, the error stopped
    appearing.

but what i meant by powering down the pc was that i do a normal n
    healthy shutdown to the pc and then pull the cable out. then put it
    back in and start the PC and the error would show.

it was naive of me not to check the battery TWICE and am really sorry
    for it guys. thank you alll for trying to help.

though i would like to know if there is a way for any pc to run
    without a battery all the time or is it impossible to do so?

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well current machines use the battery to store BIOS (Basic Input Output System) in case of power failure. With the BIOS saved in this way we don't have to reconfigure our PC's settings each and every time we start it up and it goes straight to our OS. It is feasible that a PC could run without a battery but it would be a pain in the bum (e.g. having to set the time and date every time you start up/turn on the PC).

8. h2k47

h2k47 Private E-2

true bold eagle .. but if we were able to run without batteries, wouldnt that stop any viruses from 'existing' on our systems?..i would sacrifice incorrect time and date for that . it is for the greater good in my case because am on dial up and updating virus def all the time is a painstaking process. if there isnt any way though, thank you all for contributing in the post. it is really a great forum i didnt know of b4. Hard to be answered that quickly and with this number of replies in other places. Thanks for everyone.

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

It may initially but the hackers would make a virus that could "cyst" (go dormant without need for resources) and become active once system power is restored, after all it is only malicious code and doesn't require any sustenance.

10. h2k47

h2k47 Private E-2

if this is the case, then thank God for Norton Ghost :cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds