pc slow after logging on to DSL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tegary, Mar 5, 2014.

1. tegary

tegary Private E-2

I've been dealing with a slow pc after logging on to DSL I thought it was the modem until Centurylink sent me another modem after the first one died. Now, I'm thinking it's the ethernet connection.

I have a ABIT IC7-G. I went to ABIT website to see if I could download the driver and chipset driver, but I don't see them listed. Is there anywhere else I can find these drivers?

Also, can I just buy a ethernet card and install it and bypass the one on the motherboard. If so, what do I look for? I've never done this before but can do it if given directions.

Thanks for your help.
    tegary

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Hi, tegary

1) I am assuming you are running a Microsoft OS . . . can you advise which? XP, Vists, 7, etc.? It would help others to know which OS is in use to taylor their responses. :)

2) When you say "slow PC", what exactly do you mean? Is your DSL connection slow, or is the entire PC acting sluggish? If the entire PC, you probably have other issues besides a network problem.

But if you mean your network is slow, and if you are running Windows, this Intel page should have updated LAN drivers if you think it is a driver issue:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-006120.htm

Yes, you can buy a 32bit add-in PCI LAN card (not PCI-E!), and they are cheap. Pretty sure s standard 33mhz PCI can handle a gigabit card, as well. But before you consider abandoning your onboard LAN . . . have you ran some speed tests on your connection? Speedtest.net is a good testing site for DSL connections.

Clarify what you mean by slow PC, and try some speed tests on your internet, and post back with the information. If it is a network issue, odds are it's something simple.

4. tegary

tegary Private E-2

By slow I mean, when I'm not logged on to the DSL, my PC works fine, but as soon as I open IE and the DSL kicks in, it runs slow. It takes forever to go from page to page. When I click on a link or something, it takes a minute or two to change pages and sometimes it locks up the IE and I have to restart IE or sometimes the PC or sometimes I turn the modem off and unplug from the wall to get it going again.

I'm using XP.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

If you bring up task mananger what is your highest? CPU or memory?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds