PC slow - primarily MS Office 2003 (Outlook repeatedly shows "not responding" status)

Discussion in 'Software' started by markcarey, Feb 13, 2006.

1. markcarey

markcarey Private E-2

I have an IBM T43 Centrino Laptop with 1.6 GHZ CPU, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD, 128MB on board video, with DVD/CDRW +-, running MS Windows XP Pro and MS Office 2003

I have followed all of the pre-posting scans and instructions....and will attach my hijack, panda, and bitdefender scan logs...

My problems just recently occured - in summary, my MS Office applications began to slow significantly - especially MS Outlook. It would be ok for about 30 seconds, and then the error message "not responding" would appear in the very top of the Window title bar....it would remain this way for a minute or two and then allow me to work, check email, change folders, etc for about another 30 seconds and then back to the "not responding". I did a detect and repair in the help drop down menu for office application along with scanning my system with adaware, spybot, WebRoot's Spysweeper. Also ran Norton anti-virus and Norton SystemWorks. Excel, Word, and Publisher seemed to be working ok but I still had a problem with Outlook basically freezing every couple of minutes or so. I tried to do a complete detect/repair, reinstall from the MS Office CD ROM but got the following error message:

Error 1406

\software\microsoft\internetexplorer\extensions\{92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263}

I've never seen or received this error before and I was unable to proceed.

My computer seems to be working OK after the aformentioned scans that I conducted but I still suspect something is wrong because it's not back to it's 100% speedy self....before I restore my system back to the factory setting with the System Recovery Discs I've made, I'd like to see if someone might be able to identify the malware or problem

I will attach the results of my scans and thank you for your help!

Mark

Attached Files:

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MGs!

I doubt your problems with Outlook are related to malware. You do not show any major issues but you should delete the below:

C:\Documents and Settings\Mark Carey\My Documents\XP Wallpapers\KISS\600.exe

Also empty your Junk email folder where Panda detected the following:
    Code:

Virus:W32/Sober.AH.worm!CME-681   Not disinfected     Personal Folders\Junk E-mail\X-IMail-SPAM-Premium hi, ive a new mail address\mailtext.zip[File-packed_dataInfo.exe]

I'm going to move this to the Software Forum as I do not think your problem with Outlook (or Office) is a malware issue.

3. markcarey

markcarey Private E-2

Thanks for the help chasling! I actually deleted those after running the scans and saving the logs. As I indicated before, the PC is NOT freezing or locking up as it did when the problems began, so perhaps one of the applications I used to scan for and resolve problems actually worked!...

Thanks again for all your help!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

5. markcarey

markcarey Private E-2

Thank you for your help and reply halo

I agree, the NAV email scan plugin can slow things down but having had that activated consistently on several PC's (both at home and at work), this freeze/lock up was very different. I will continue to scan my system with Lavasoft's Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy, WebRoot's SpySweeper, as well as Norton AV, to keep things clean.

And I'll keep monitoring it's performance.....

THANKS AGAIN! YOU GUYS ARE INVALUABLE!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds