PC slowing down every hour.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-125cdb8a9b, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Anon-125cdb8a9b Anonymized

My PC keeps slowing down every 60-70 minutes and not in the way I've experienced in the past. It will slow down for around 10 minutes every hour or so, like stated above, and it does it like clockwork. Over the past couple of days it has continued to happen.

When I say slow down, I mean the loading times. The fans in my PC aren't working any harder, nothing is making any unusual sounds in the tower. Any websites I try to load up in the 10 minute slow time simply don't load, even though my internet is still working perfectly and once the 10 mins has passed they load up super quick like I am used to. Also it is the same with exploring the folders on my PC - I just get the loading circle. Though the folders seem to be ok opening, it is just opening files or moving them.

It first happened a couple of days ago late at night at around the same time as McAfee installed an update. The update happened and straight away two Chrome windows, one of each of my screens, instantly froze. The first couple of times it happened I restarted and that solved it but since I've learnt that the slowness lasts 10 mins I just leave it on and let the time pass.

I've ran a full McAfee scan and used CCleaner to get rid of all temporary files etc. And I defragmented my boot drive. No change after doing all of them.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula.
    CPU: Haswell Intel Core i7-4770k. Not overclocked.
    GPU: GeForce GTX 780 Ti.
    Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD.
    Storage drives: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD and a Seagate 3TB hard drive.
    Running Windows 7 64-bit.

I'll be happy to provide any other information needed.

2. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Are you saying I should completely uninstall McAfee? My year with them expires in a month. When I started using them some years back I thought they were pretty good.

What should I be looking for in the Processes? Something that's using a lot of memory?

3. Anon-125cdb8a9b

It just happened right after I wrote my last reply. I looked in the processes when it happened but nothing stood out to me (I opened it before the pc slowed down so I could see any difference) so I'll try removing McAfee and see what happens.

I'll have to do that tomorrow, since I'm going out to work soon.

Thank you for your help so far.

4. Anon-125cdb8a9b

I did what you suggested - uninstall McAfee completely and run the CCleaner scans and the slowing down seems to have stopped. I uninstalled it around 5-6 hours ago and I haven't experienced the slowing down since.

So it seems McAfee was the problem.

You said there are some Anti-virus programs listed on this site that are a lot better than McAfee. Could you recommend one or two that are the stand out better programs that people tend to use? I don't mind if it's free or not, as long as it is a trusted program.

5. Anon-125cdb8a9b

I have installed the 360 Total Security and it has already found a couple of threats and a lot of files that needed a clean up. And it knocked a couple of seconds off of my boot up time.

Thank you for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds