Pc starting to lag ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by theremotedr, Jul 11, 2011.

1. theremotedr

theremotedr Master Sergeant

I have been directed here from the malware forum as nothing was found when i completed the tools that i was advised to run.
    My pc has started to lag the last few days,in that i mean when i close a folder or internet connection and return to the desktop my folders are not shown then say 5 seconds later they appear again,i also noticed when using winamp the first few seconds of each song would play pause play pause then play fine until the next song ???
    I run spybot search & destroy & carry out a AVG scan each week together with a disk defragmeneter check.
    I have run these once again but nothing found.
    I have also run ccleaner but nothing found.
    I have also run the online trend micro scan but nothing found.
    One of the tools that i was advised to run in the malware section did find a threat and the tool deleted it then restarted the pc for me.
    I have flushed the system restore points & created a new system point today but the folders on the desktop stil vanish now & then,however the songs do now play correctly in winamp.
    Sometimes when i double click on a folder nothing happens as if the pc has gone to sleep,if i restart the pc all is fine.
    Please advise.
    I am using xp pro & have plenty of memory & free space on the pc.
    Thanks

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

You might want to shut down the computer, unplug it, ground yourself to the case, remove each stick of RAM, clean the contacts on the RAM and the MB and reinsert the RAM, plug in computer and start it back up.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You might want to consider replacing AVG with a program that is less bloated and doesn't cause a performance hit.

4. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Is there a particular reason you wanted to refrain from uninstalling AVG in order to run ComboFix? I didn't see AVG Pro in your logs so I'm guessing you didn't pay for it. I noticed you were using an older version of AVG too (9.0). The current version is.. 2011.1390

Click here to see for yourself: http://free.avg.com/us-en/download-free-all-product.
    It's free to download, so you could always reinstall AVG after troubleshooting your computer.
    If you do decide to remove AVG, the removal tool is here: http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

5. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Open your Task Manager.

goto Processes and sort by memory.

Post a screenshot of that here please.

6. theremotedr

Hello,
    Just got home after working away so just reading some replys.
    Yesterday i noticed the pc hangs a while when i attempt to shutdown the pc,hope this helps.

7. theremotedr

I did not want to remove it as i would like to be protected whilst connected to the internet.
    The version is (9.0) and yes it was paid for,i have checked for updates but no results found for the latest you show ??

8. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

AVG's engine is outdated by 2yrs in that case!
    I appreciate your monetary investment, if you have the (current) license key why not uninstall and reinstall?

Be advised AVG has gotten glitchy and bloated as of late.
    It stood recommended for a long while here, on MGs- it's not any longer. Here's a link, the thread has been created and updated by chaslang MGs Admin in Malware removal.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

If you choose to uninstall and carry on with a ComboFix scan(recommended and post the log in your thread in Malware Removal) down load to desk top Avast, MSE or AntiVir installer from the above link.

Use thisisu's link in post #4 to down load the AVG uninstall tool. And run it.
    Dissconect from the Net.
    Run the antivirus installer you have down loaded.
    Reconnect to the net, and update the antivirus.
    See if you still have lag problems.

Cheers..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds