Pc turns back on after shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pongo, Feb 5, 2012.

1. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

This just started a few days ago,when i go to shut down my computer turns off with the monitor,all of a sudden my computer will turn back on it shows a green light on ,on the pc but the red is still off and my monitor stays black i have to unplug the pc and restart to get the monitor back on...but im just concerend why all of a sudden my pc restarts after being shut down for 3-4 min...

2. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

it has xp pro in it....

3. omni54

omni54 Private E-2

Its a ghost in the machine! or if it restarts after a total shutdown it could be a dodgy power switch - is it stuck in at all or feel different than it did?

Is this a new build? if so check the case connectors are correct.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I do not understand about the red and green lights . Please explain further so we can figure out what happens.

5. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

this is not a new install it just started doing this,this computer has 2 lights on the front a green and a red?when i shut it down both lights go off,but now for some reason the green light comes on but monitor does not,,i just cant figure why when i shut it down that after 3-4 min the computer light comes back on..

6. omni54

omni54 Private E-2

Are you sure the computer is on ie fans running and the hard drive spinning etc.

Does the green light flash or on steady?

7. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

its on steady..after the pc starts on its own.

8. omni54

omni54 Private E-2

Right click "My Computer"
    Select "Properties"
    Go to "Hardware Device"
    Click "Device Manager"
    Select "Network Adapters"
    Select "(brand name of adapter" .....PCI-Fast Ethernet Controller--> right click ---properties--->power management-->deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"--->Go to "Advanced" tab--->put value off for "Wake from shut down" --->value none for "Wake up capabilities"
    press OK

If this doesn't work then check your BIOS

Restart ---> press F2---> go to "Main" tab --->Network boot [Disable] --- Save

I have also heard that it can be a failing PSU but I have never seen this - good luck

9. Luckyneil

Luckyneil Private First Class

I've been having the same problem. It started all of a sudden on a 6 month old PC with Windows7.

I tried the first fix outlined above and it worked for about a week, then the ghostly start-ups re-occurred. I re-did the process but to no avail. Pesky ghost, huh?

I went into BIOS but under the Main tab I don't have a "Network Boot" option to disable.

What next? Perhaps some other BIOS tab?

10. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is there anything in BIOS called "Wake on LAN"?

11. Luckyneil

Luckyneil Private First Class

Yes there is.

Wake on LAN from S4/S5 > Power On Normal Boot

"system will boot and use normal boot order"

12. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Its your Wake on Lan setup in Bios that is making the computer turn on Automatic.

Go into your Bios and shut off the Wake on Lan option.

I had the same issue on a Dell i once had this should fix the problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds