PC Value Estimate of a UK Custom Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by A Bathing Ape, Feb 5, 2012.

1. A Bathing Ape

A Bathing Ape Private E-2

Hi people,

Ive recently built myself a high spec pc to replace my old comp after the PSU blow up on me. I built my new comp and got a new PSU to replace the busted one. Just wanted your honest opinion on how much my comp is worth. Im in the UK and I have read in other posts that UK components tend to have a higher cost attached: any way here is the spec:

ASrock ALiveNF5-eSATA2+R3.0 Motherboard
    AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition @ 2500MHz
    2GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz (2X1gb dual channel) 4-4-4-12 xms2-6400
    ASUS Geforce 7900GTX (GDDR3 512MB 1600Mhz Memory, 650MHz Core Clock) PCI-E x16
    Sony CD-RW DVD ROM (IDE)
    NEC DVD-RW incl. DVD-RAM (IDE)
    Soundblaster Audigy ZS Platinum 7.1 sound card (PCI)
    extra USB ports through motherboard header to expansion bracket on the back panel
    Thermaltake Black Shark Case
    Arctic Power 500W PSU (brand new)

I have 2 possible monitors but it depends on how much it bumps up the value
    VGA Dell 17" E177FP or
    DVI & VGA GNU TS900 19"

Also I have a copy of XP Pro and Vista Ultimate do u think installing a different one of these would make a difference to the value?

your estimates are appreciated, i was thinkin around £300-£400 ($474.15 - $632.2)? Please let me know, Thanks...

George

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Hi George,

Hate to be the barer of bad news but due to the drop in cost of new prebuilt old systems are not worth that much.

For £400 I could get a brand new i5 with 4GB DDR3 and a 500GB HD. Your total system value is probably less than £100.:cry

My honest opinion is either utilise it yourself for something or break it down to individual components and sell it on eBay. No one will pay more than £100 for the complete system but you may find that you get £50 for MB+CPU+Heatsink, £20 for GPU £10 for RAM £20 for case, £20 for HD etc Your main market will be people who have similar PCs but parts have broken and they need spares.

Never good, breaking up with an old rig.

3. A Bathing Ape

A Bathing Ape Private E-2

Thanks for your honesty... :cry

Its just annoying when u spend sooo much for new components (my new i7 was £300+), I paid over £350 for that gfx card when it came out but that's the nature of the beast.

My uncle did say he would give around £250 for it? So maybe thats a good route to take, or is it evil to sell at that price considering the facts?

Failing that selling on ebay would be a viable option as I have all the original boxes and manuals :cool

Thanks for your input, im gonna head round to the local 'sole-trader' style comp shops and see what they offer (just out of interest)... just waiting for this snow to hold up

thanks agian

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I agree with tueur used computers are usually sold in two categories,surfers and gamers,your is a surfer so if someone wanted to buy it they would use it for genral surfing,word processing ect. and they won't want to pay a lot for it and yeah shops will laugh at you and that's if they offer anything at all.

As to your uncle I gave away 6 year old computer that had similar specs to a friend of family so IMO £250 is like ripping out your uncles heart and forcing him to eat it:-D If he never sent you any presents or money at Christmas then charge him the full £250:-D

5. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds