PC vs Console

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nedlamar, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

So I've read things on here and elsewhere about PC gaming is dying and consoles are taking over etc etc.

Well hows this, a few of the students at work and my son, all between the ages of 17-22, around 9 of them in total.
    Either Xbox or PS3 fanboys.

We get talking about Skyrim, they rattle on about how awesome the game is but they wish they had this or that.
    I talk about Skyrim and tell them about my massive house with mines, armoury, Skyforge and my pet dragon. Then talk about how I have the Assassins creed clothes and graphical tweaks, weather control and a whole host of other wonderful mods I've installed. Then I tell them my average loading screen times are around 3-6 seconds.

Then we get talking about Zombie games, they talk about Left For Dead, COD Black Ops etc, I then explain the Arma 2 DayZ mod and how it's so creepy due to it's ultra realism, the fact you MUST survive by any means and you are not handed infinite ammo... or ammo at all until you can find it, you must also eat and drink etc.

They also talk about Fallout 3 or New Vegas and how awesome the game is but they wish they had this and that.
    I then explain how my UI is set up for quick links and changes, graphic tweaked, have my own house with dispensaries and water purifiers, special weapons room etc etc.

Then they talk about getting Max Payne 3 on sale for $44.99, so I explain how I got it on sale for $19.99 and how the entire GTA series cost me $12.
    The power of Steam :-D

Every one of them now wants a PC.

This is the thing, most people don't realise how much more is available to PC gamers. Every kid and adult alike who likes and puts real time into games wants a PC after we have spoken.

The biggest fallback... the initial outlay of cash.

But then again, the savings on games and the fact you can keep upgrading it so it doesn't look dated after 3 years instead of having to wait 8 years for a new system.

For me, who has owned 80% of consoles ever released since Atari, the only advantage I see is the fact you can easily hook it up to your TV and play in more comfort without having to fiddle with PC-TV connections etc.
    Otherwise... show me the advantages of Consoles over PC for gaming.

This post was inspired by another thread about Halo 4 not released on PC, the game distributors take back handers from the console companies, but all it's doing it getting them a bad name among PC gamers, but we are the silent minority...or are we?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds