Pc way too noisy off the bat

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I am using a lenovo thinkcentre M58 ( the ultra small form factor).

This pc fan seems to run at 100% speed regardless of what its doing. The noise is beyond annoying because that is all i could focus on and i can't make using this pc even half enjoyable because of this nuisance.

Its summer here and it is hot however i wouldn't say the room i am using it in is of a concern is regards to heat considering my other main pc's fans don't seem to be running at this speed.

I switched the computer to another room thinking mine might be too warm and it still did the same thing. I also turned on the ac and cooled the whole house to about 69 degrees Fahrenheit and put the pc in the living room where it was the coolest. Still same issue.

No applications or ANYTHING is running for the fans to kick in at full speed , the pc simply boots and 2 seconds before the pc even launches to windows the fans start spinning at full speed.

There is no low profile card installed either on this pc. Any help for this issue would be greatly appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The fan that drives you crazy, determine if it is the power supply fan, a case fan, a CPU fan (if the GPU has a fan) or the GPU fan.

I have a desktop someone built for me that is extremely noisy no matter what the temp is. I replaced the case fan and it made no difference. I finally figured out it must be the power supply fan that is noisy.

3. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

The pc is too small inside to even fit all of those fans mentioned, from what i see inside of it, it only appears to have 1.

If you check the pictures i included i am sure you will see only 1 fan is present.

The temperatures of the cpu and hard drive are cool tough and it still runs at full speed.

Attached Files:

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

The temps in that screen shot are fine - fantastic actually.

You need to determine which fan is making so much noise and determine if the fan is making noise ONLY because it is running full speed, or if it is making so much noise because the bearings are worn. In any event, fans are not created equal. Cheap fans have poor aerodynamic design and use cheap bearings. The best fans have great design and quality fluid or precision ball bearings. Some have higher RPM ratings.

If you VERY CAREFULLY touch the center hub of a spinning fan for just a second, the speed will change and that will change the sound the fan makes. From there, you can determine which fan is giving the problems, and replace it with a quality fan.

I do not recommend replacing PSU fans because there are deadly voltages inside a PSU. I would just get a new PSU with good noise specs.

5. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I can only find 1 fan in the casing ( i included it in the pictures), which is probably the one from the PSU.

Like i mentioned this pc is very small it honestly wouldn't be able to fit more than the fan i see and probably a small one.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Or, if you have a PSU Tester, you can simply connect the main 20/24 pin connector to the tester and power up the PSU to determine if the PSU fan is the culprit.

These testers are nice to have handy anyway. While they don't conclusively confirm a PSU is good (they don't provide a realistic load and they don't test for ripple), they tell you if a PSU has lost a voltage or (with the digital readout) tell you if the voltages are within tolerance. Plus, these testers let you easily test fans and drive motors. I keep one in my travel tool bag.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds