PC will not start, suspect hardware issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bostonmass12, Oct 20, 2013.

1. bostonmass12

bostonmass12 Private E-2

Hi. I am quite grateful for this service. Thank you.

My PC will not start. It is an HP G62-435DX Notebook PC. I use Windows 7.

When I turn on the unit, it makes the typical sounds for a few seconds, which I think is the fans being started or tested. After a couple seconds, it then makes no more progress. I receive none of the typical startup images on my monitor. The power button light stays on solid white. Caps lock stays on solid white. The wireless indicator light is solid red. During one of my attempts to start, I let it sit idle for a while and the caps lock button turned off.

I am unable to use Esc, F2, F8, or any other feature to open safe mode, or diagnostics. I let the pc sit overnight and it did not proceed from this state, except for possibly the caps lock light going off. When I awoke after severl hours, the unit was still on but exhibiting no signs of startup. I did connect the HDMI output to my TV to see if it was an problem with my monitor. When I did so, there was no signal to my television.

The problem initially occured as I was opening a routine web page. The scren went dark, nothing was happening, after a few minutes I attempted to reboot and have since been having the problem as described above.

I will check the HP web site for assistance. I will also disassemble so I may clean and check connections. I would appreciate any suggestions. My very amateur diagnosis is a hardware problem. Therefore, I have not posted in the software or malware forums.

Thank you. Please let me know if I have failed to include any useful information. You guys provide a nice and appreciated service.

2. bostonmass12

bostonmass12 Private E-2

I notice I also have LED indication where I plug in my adapter. It was white when I noticed. It became red when I started to mess with the power cord. It is not back to white. If it is blinking, it is doing so on a period of every few minutes. I do not have a LED for NumLock.

3. bostonmass12

bostonmass12 Private E-2

I have ran through everything I can find on the HP website, including re-seating of hard drive and memory chips. I have also teased each memory chip individually in each memory slot. Nothing has resulted in a successful boot. The hard drive continues to make typical sounds and the fan does start and sounds as if it is running even after the unit hangs up. I cannot get to Esc, F2, F8, F10, or any other option for safe mode or diagnostics.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

The fact you see nothing from the start suggests it is a problem with the motherboard, or a major component on it (CPU, RAM, graphics) as the hard drive is not touched until way into the boot process. Unfortunately, troubleshooting notebooks is hard because you cannot easily swap in parts to test - like a spare power supply.

That was a good test, but note you typically need to type a specific Fn + Fx key combination to switch the video output to an external monitor. On my Toshiba notebook, it Fn + F5.

If your notebook allows your system to run without the battery installed I would try that too. If you have a spare power supply that is of the same specs and connector configuration you can try that. While it appears your supply is working, it may not be working correctly. But if not, you may need to take it a shop as they have the necessary parts and experience to give it good going over.

In any case, if you don't have a backup of your data, you can remove the drive and install it into an enclosure, or use an adapter cable to connect it to a PC and copy your files off.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds