Pc with the wrong windows version

Discussion in 'Software' started by sahmcap97, Nov 9, 2009.

1. sahmcap97

sahmcap97 Private E-2

I am trying to get a pc to work correctly, someone has installed a trial of win XP that has expired on it. It originally had vista Home Basic installed. I have the product key for vista HB, which has been verified by Microsoft as good. The problem is I do not have a copy of vista to install, have no discs for this pc at all what can I do?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Try to borrow one. If you absolutely can not, then you will have to contact MS and see if they will send you a cd.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

sahmcap97, a lot of computers come with recovery partitions which restores the computer to the way it was when it left the factory.
    I got no disks with my newest computer. I did get directions on how to make the recovery disks. Check all the information you got with the computer. Since you did not create recovery disks, there might be a keyboard combination that you press when the computer first boots up to restore it to factory settings.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Contact the PC manufacturer. They will be able to provide a recovery disc though they may charge a fee for it.

5. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Sometimes in this case Microsoft can get really nasty and make you purchase a copy of vista Home Basic which you need to stick to your guns and say no. If you get a copy from Microsoft then you can borrow a copy from somewhere and use the product key you got.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds