PC wont assign drive letter to HDD enclosure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave3283, Jun 16, 2009.

1. dave3283

dave3283 Private E-2

Purchased new PC recently after a crash. Store was able to transfer some old files from dead PC to new drive, but not all (they say they can't look at .pst files for privacy issues.)
    Installed old drive in HDD enclosure, but I can't access the data. It is recognized in device manager but not disk management. The enclosure powers up but nothing beyond that. Any help is appreciated

2. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Private First Class

Is it an IDE or SATA drive in the enclosure?

If IDE, are the jumpers set correctly?

3. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

And also, was there any CD that came with the HDD enclosure, possibly some drivers are missing. But its possibly a wrong configuration as GreaseMonkey stated.

4. dave3283

dave3283 Private E-2

IDE. No cd. Device manager says device is working properly. Jumpers set to slave.

5. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Jumpers should be set to Single Settings or to Master (Sometimes). Typically Slave may play into the problem your getting. (Hope that helps.)

6. dave3283

dave3283 Private E-2

Jumper set to master now. Still won't recognize a drive in disc management.
    I'm about to hook it up to a laptop now to see if that machine recognizes it.

7. greasemonkey

You could try setting the jumper to "cable select".

Then the IDE controller in the enclosure might be able to sort it out.

8. greasemonkey

And just out of curiosity, what OS are we dealing with?

9. dave3283

dave3283 Private E-2

Changing jumpers from slave to master to cable select did nothing. I run XP home on the PC. Did not get to try hooking up to a laptop last night as it didn't come home. That will be tried tonight. Will post results.

10. greasemonkey

XP should have generic drivers for the enclosure, so I guess we can rule a driver issue out.

Can you fit the drive into your new computer? It may be worth doing so to be able to run some diagnostics on the drive.
    The windows chkdsk tool might be able to shed some light
    Or, the drive manufacturer should have some diagnostic software, most are mirrored here at Major Geeks. A search on your drive manufacturer should bring up the right one.
    Or, a more generic tool like HDDHealth http://majorgeeks.com/HDD_Health_d3654.html could shed some light.

The reason I say this is that, I remember having problems with a cheap enclosure I bought a couple of years back and not being able to run diagnostics on the drive over USB.

11. dave3283

dave3283 Private E-2

Ouch!! Thank you all for your time and suggestions.
    At least you got me to look at jumpers. What I failed to notice at first is that drive was upside down in enclosure in relation to manual diagram. So I was not setting the jumpers correctly. All is well now and drive is recognized. Thanks again.

12. greasemonkey

All good dude, at least its sorted.

I remember having made the same mistake before... :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds