PC won't boot after installing new GPU driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jesse_M, May 27, 2013.

1. Jesse_M

Jesse_M Private E-2

Hi guys, just want to start out by saying I'm new here and I need some serious help. I've had this problem since yesterday and I've done everything I know how to do to try and resolve it. It just seems too far beyond my knowledge.

Pc specs: i5 3570k, Asus P8Z77-V LX, EVGA 660Ti, 16GB G.Skill, 120GB Intel 520 SSD, WD 1TB with a 600W Rosewell PSU.

I was playing a game for maybe an hour before I got a random crash. Never happened before, really. But then it kept happening. I suspected a driver issue because I know Battlefield 3 is buggy as hell. So I check Nvidia's website and I spotted the new 320.18. Figured what the hell and installed it.

After the reboot I started getting random display driver crashes then a pop up saying that it has recovered, even on the desktop where it was becoming unusable & happening every 5 seconds. I did a driver roll back and was still getting the same errors. I even used Driver Sweeper & CC cleaner for the registry. Still getting the same errors.

This was a clean PC, not even two months old. I reformatted the hard drive and did a fresh copy of Win7 64bit. Installed all motherboard drivers and windows updates. I was able to boot into the desktop fine but as soon as I installed drivers for the GPU I wasn't able to boot into my desktop anymore and was getting a BSOD.

I suspect it is GPU driver issues because I am able to boot fine into windows if they are uninstalled. But my screen is tiny and all the font is huge, almost how it looks in safe mode, but It's in normal mode. It is also rigged up to the 660 right now. If i force iGPU in BIOS and load windows, I am stuck in 16bit color and a 640x480 resolution.

Please, I need some help here. Getting to the point of a dead end, not sure what else to do.

Thanks.
    -Jesse

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Have you tried removing the card and using the on-board graphics?

3. Jesse_M

Jesse_M Private E-2

I can boot up fine if I force iGPU in bios. It might be because no drivers are installed for the on board, but I am limited to 16bit 640x480 resolution.

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I would recommend on doing a full uninstall of the driver.

Uninstall it then run threw all the files and folders then delete them.

Then turn to the registry and search for all the nvidia drivers in the registry.

Try to completely remove the whole install.

Do this in safe mode.Make sure you back up system be for you start doing this.

Then after all that try a reinstall again and use the Clean install option.

I think the latest is 314 some thing don't ever use the beta testing.It can F up your system in bad way a lot of times.

Make sure you all so search threw the %appdata% folder as well there are hidden files in there.

5. Jesse_M

Jesse_M Private E-2

I appreciate the reply and your suggestion, however, I did a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit, then installed all of the motherboard drivers. I didn't even have a single graphics driver installed, nothing. I shut off automatic windows updates, made sure the registry was clean, leaving no trace of Nvidia drivers. After that, I then installed the drivers from the EVGA disc. This is EXACTLY how I did it when I first booted up my PC after building it and it worked perfectly fine, but for some reason it keeps crashing upon boot whenever I have Nvidia drivers installed. Nothing I do changes that unless I boot in safe mode. If I uninstall the drivers I can boot windows fine, but nothing looks right and only half of my monitor is being used.

6. djdmoney863

djdmoney863 Private E-2

Jesse_M since the system isn't that old you may want to see if the Nvidia card is still under warranty, it may need to be replaced. You can keep running your self in circles uninstalling and reinstalling the video card drivers it won't get better.

7. Jesse_M

Jesse_M Private E-2

I finally reached out to EVGA, gave them a call and had an RMA # set up within minutes. I'm going to ship it out tomorrow so they can test it. Excellent customer support and service from them. Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds