PC wont fire up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Diener, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Diener

Diener Private E-2

Alright, it was fine last night. We had a power out and it turned out we tripped some breakers, but the PC turned back on with no probs, but thismorning I cant get her to fire up! When I give life to the PS, the standby power light stays on, and when I hit the power button the LED lights flash and the fans move a bit, but then nothing...

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Time for a new power supply ....400 watt @ $40.00:)

3. Diener

Diener Private E-2

oh skippy. Thanks TmW

4. TimW

No problem ....good tutorials on how to replace if you need.:)

5. Diener

Diener Private E-2

Didnt work... really unhappy...

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

do u get any POST beeps or anything? from what im getting, the fans just go on for a short time then stop?

7. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I wondering How or why you would recommend a 400w PSU, for a system that it appears you know nothing about.
    I don't see any specs posted...

In general a $40 psu reguardless of the wattage, probably isn't worth the box it came in!

Watts don't matter so much as the output of the +12v rail
    20 pin or 24 pin main? SLI?
    Get my drift?

Maybe you should have suggested the poster test his or her PSU first?
    Maybe ask the poster for Specs?

8. TimW

If you had read the first post he stated that they had a power outage that threw some breakers ....would that not indicate a POWER SURGE ...!
    His system would not start up ...would that not suggest his ps was fried?
    And if you read my short and to the point statement I suggested nothing, I merely stated that a GOOD power supply (that I have bought for numerous clients) would cost @ $40.00.

I have no idea what his specs are and that wasn't of concern ...he knows what his specs are and what wattage and confige he needs.

9. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Whats your system specs?

You might try resetting your CMOS, this can usually be done by removing your MOBO battery for few minutes then reinstalling.
    If you PC was able to boot after this Dont boot to Windows go directly to BIOS & reset time & date, then boot to Windows.

Seems I remember you posting another Thread about bad memory or something, bad memory can cause failed boot
    Other things like Bad PSU, CPU or even a short can cause the same

10. TimW

Diener ....you probably also fried the board ...am assuming that no surge protection? Or at least not a suffiecient one?

11. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Butt....... I did :p nor did it cause sudden death!
    The power outage may have nothing to do with the problem or it may have taxed an exsisting hardware problem, with the amount of info provided, One can only Guess...

Hey I'm not trying to start a Pissing match, it's Tempting though, so this will be my last post on this thread!

Good Luck!

12. TimW

Works for me.

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

On a side note. Is there a modem installed in this computer? If so, take it out. Does the computer boot up now?

I've seen many power surges happen, and the first to fry is the modem. Taking this item out, is a first start.

14. TimW

To follow up with Theefools suggestion ....just because the new ps didn't work, may only be an indication that there are additional problems. I would suggest that you remove all pci cards (nic, modem, sound, video), check that the ram did not get jarred loose, that the power connections are firmly seated (and if a 24 pin connection that the 4 pin part is where is should be), disconnect the power plugs for all drives other than main hard drive, don't worry about not having the monitor plugged in ...and see if it will fire up.
    This may sound strange, but I recently had a rebuild ....powered on once...shut it down to connect additional drives ...wouldn't restart. Replaced the ps ...wouldn't start ...did the above ...wouldn't start ...turned out that the power on button died ...replaced it and the thing still wouldn't start with the original ps ...put the new ps back in and it fired right up ...:)

15. padams

padams First Sergeant

Maybe you should do a little more homework before you start telling people what they need to do. I feel you were way off base saying what you did in your posts and the whole spill about resetting the cmos. yeah that's gonna work.

tim you were right for telling him to upgrade the psu and i'm with you on thinking it might have fried something like the mobo.

16. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Well i agree that 99 percent of the time a psu would be the fix, what he didnt say was what caused the power outage, was it bad power in the wiring, lightning? Since we are guessing im going with a burnt m-board, caused by lightning. ed

17. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Your entitled to your Opinion, Opinions are like Butt Holes everyones got one:p

Here's A Fact:
    Resetting CMOS is one of the First & Most Basic Solutions to solving a failed boot. ( This Costs nothing, unlike suggesting someone to purchase hardware like a mobo or PSU without suggesting any testing and without knowing the most basic info of the PC in Question)

Here's another Fact:
    The poster did state, that the PC did work, after the power problems!

Padams, If you don't have any Intelligent Info to offer, Maybe you shouldn't post any worthless comments?:rolleyes:

See Ya!

18. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Grow up. Your fighting over computers, whats next, whos got the cooler lawn hose and why. Your here to HELP people, if you can not do it, please find somewhere else to be rude.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds