PC won't read external hard drive!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dungle, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Dungle

Dungle Private E-2

Hi everyone. My external hard drive won't open! If I go into My Computer it has read it ok, says 13gb free of 232gb. When I plug it in, the AutoPlay comes up as well. But if I click on the Lacie folder in My Computer or "open folder to view files" the My Computer folder or the AutoPlay just freezes up. I've tried the hard drive on my other PC and a laptop and it's fine. I tried my step dads external hard drive and the same thing is happening. We've got Vista. It's a pain as it let me transfer a lot of music onto my hard drive, then i wiped my Ipod and now I can't move the music! I tried doing a restore but it's still the same!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Dungle

Dungle Private E-2

Oh it gets better. My Itunes reads it fine. This is confusing!!

3. Dungle

Dungle Private E-2

Can anyone help?

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    No guarantees but you may have a conflict with another USB driver. Try cleaning out the drivers of non-present devices. Make sure you get the 32 or 64 bit file depending on your OS. Also for Vista and Win 7, you have to run it from an elevated prompt as noted.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/post875300-1.html

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If tgell's usb assistance does not help, I suggest that you look in disc management, and see if it is active (it may need to be asigned a drive letter to see it in your computer, if you have had several usb items connected, as it may show up in PC/LAPTOP as 'E' or, 'F' - but you may have something else assigned to that drive letter.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds