Pc wont recognize my external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aladdinsgenie, Apr 4, 2010.

1. aladdinsgenie

aladdinsgenie Private E-2

I cleaned of all the stuff from my external hard drive and was going to reformat it but accidently removed the partition instead. Now when I plug it into the PC nothing happens. Before i got a message the a new device was detected and it would come up, now there is nothing. Its not showing up in the disk management area either. I'm running Win XP and the hard drive is a Western Digital 40gb that I was going to use for sharing things between my PC and my laptop. My laptop is also running Win XP and the drive isnt showing up on it either.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  3. aladdinsgenie

aladdinsgenie Private E-2

I finely fixed the problem and you won't believe what the problem was! The connector wasn't seated all the way on the inside of the HD enclosure! I was desperate at that point and was ready to trash the whole thing and started pushing and tugging anything I could when I discovered the cause. I do appreciate your help and will save that link for future reference. I still enjoy working on my computer even at the age of 71 but "It's not easy getting old!"

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Glad to hear you have it fixed ... us ol timers gotta stick together but having said that your beating me by 5 years. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds