pc wrecking my head..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barnes, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

Hey,

I have a computer here that keeps freezing the whole time. you could be on it for 10 minutes or 10 seconds and it does the same thing..

i thought it was the graphics card.. so when i was able to get into it i lowered the graphics properties.. still could be it.

I thought it was windows.. i went to re install windows and it froze again..

but its like it smudges the screen. i took two photos of it with my phone..
    cheers if anyone has ideas before i go mixing and matching parts.

see below

Reinstalling windows

[​IMG]

when windows was running
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Barnes

2. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

onboard graphics card.. going to replace it tomorrow and see what happens

ran it without the hard drive and it happened again

3. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

right.. :(

put the graphics card in.. its not getting past the post screen now.. i disconnected the graphics card and it still wont get past the post screen..

anyone any ideas?

4. magical2099

magical2099 Private First Class

have you tried swapping RAMM? how many sticks and of what size are in your pc?

if you have more than one in the case, remove one, try to boot. if it fails take out the other and replace the first, try to boot again.

if you still get nothing, you can try them in different slots.

do you have another pc around that has known good parts you can test yours in?

5. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

Cheers

I took unplugged everything apart from 1 stick of ram and keyboard.

let me past the post screen..

reset cmos...
    disabled onboard GPU and installed new one.

seems ok now... re installing windows and no blurry screen yet

6. magical2099

a faulting stick of RAMM can make a box do the craziest stuff. I had one once that just beeped randomly, constantly, but otherwise worked fine. If you have one doing something that makes absolutely no sense, RAMM is the first place to look. Good Luck, hope that was all the problem. RAMM is fairly cheap now, easily replaced.

7. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

Cheers for the help.. will try it out when i get home.. have some spare ramm..

Bit strange that the screen isnt bluring anymore its just the freezing

8. magical2099

Still freezing? How long does it stay frozen? Next time it freezes I want you to press ctrl+alt+delete or ctrl+shift+escape, try to open a taskmanager, look under the processes tab, and click on the CPU at the top of the column to sort by usage: if this works, what is tapping out the CPU?

I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU NOT END ANY PROCESSES WITH OUT CHECKING FIRST. Try to use taskmanager only to find problems, not to fix em. can brick your computer quickly.

9. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

ah man i formatted the drive and its when im installing windows.. its not like a program is overloading it..

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

What is happening now? Are you saying that the computer is now freezing when you are trying to install windows? How far does it get?

11. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

whats happening now.. im going to pour coffee over it :-D:-D

na.. its not exactly in any place when installing.. screen just freezes and the HDD light on the front goes off.

12. TimW

It is just shutting itself off? This a laptop or desktop? Sure sounds like it's overheating. It could be the PSU, but since you were trading out ram, and seemed to have that issue solved, then it really can only be those two.

13. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

Desktop
    no the screen stays on but the HDD doesnt seem to be making noise..

i havent swapped out the ram completely.. going to do it now in a few..

yeah might replace the thermal compound and see

14. TimW

I am assuming that you have taken the case panel off and made sure all fans where spinning and not clogged with dust. If the cover is off, you can place a small household fan a foot away from the computer and let it blow on the CPU. Then see if it stays on longer.

Since you were testing sticks of RAM, make sure the RAM is recognized by the computer, as we would like to eliminate that.

15. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

cheers..
    no there not filled with dust or anything.. all fans are spinning..

ill check out the ram and see.

im going to swap out the Hard drive too..

16. magical2099

I must've gotten confused lol.

Tinkering with the RAMM did clear up the screen blur issue? But not the freezing? And it isn't freezing its shutting off? Yeah, TimW has you going in the right direction.

I was gonna suggest checking the install disc in another pc and maybe testing the cd/dvd drive in another pc just to eliminate them.

17. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

yeah im getting there..

never got a chance last night to get the ram swapped over.. will do it tonight..

reseting cmos and switching graphics card got rid of the screen blur issue.. but now its freezing.. screen stays on.. HDD light goes off

18. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

so i changed the ram and put fresh thermal compound on.. still freezing.. its freezing in bios too..

so it cant really be the hard drive can it?

so motherboard or psu?
    is there anything else it could be?

its running at 26degrees taken from bios

19. magical2099

do you have another pc around you can slap the PSU or HDD into? or a multimeter?

20. kench

kench Private First Class

what did you put the thermal compound on? sorry...but I just had to ask...

21. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

no.. have a multimeter though..
    re applied the processor

22. magical2099

well with the multimeter you can rule out the PSU. its gotta be either the Mobo or maybe CPU. Working on another thread thats acting alot like this one. its here

23. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

cheers.. ill try the multimeter out after work..

24. Barnes

Barnes Private E-2

right.. this can be locked or deleted...

gave up.. binned haha

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds