PC3200 and old mobo's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pwc, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Pwc

Pwc Private E-2

Hey all

I have 3 old Dell systems that I want to upgrade the memory in.

The model Number of the mobo's are: ON6381, OTC667, OWF887.

Currently they all have 512mb of ram, running windows XP. I was trying to search the net for the mobo max ram capacity but was unable, so far, to locate it. I am still trying to locate it as I type, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me look.

Thanks in advance

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Can't find anything for the ON6381 but the second two will only support PC2700 and I think they'll only both accept up to 1gb.

3. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Hi PWC!! Try a Google Search using 'Dell Motherboard ON6381' And at the bottom of the page, click 'show all,' or something like that. There's quite a few listings for that board and, hopefully, you'll be able to find what you need. Do the same for the other 2 boards also. I'd be more than happy to help ya, but I have to pickup my son from school, but I wanted to give you a place to start before I leave. Good Luck, and let me know how you fair!!

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I would think you could go to Dell's support page, use the service tag numbers from each PC, and find out the max RAM that way. You didn't provide the PC model numbers (like Dimension 2400 or OptiPlex GX150, for example). If we had the names/models, we should be able to track down some exact specs...
    :-D

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just my 2 cents...I went to put some RAM in my Dad's DELL 2400 about a year ago and DELL's website said it maxed at 1GB. Apparently the website contains the original specifications of the model when shipped not changed for BIOS updates.

Crucial.com along with many online RAM vendors said his model could take 2gb which was indeed true (I added a 1gb stick to his 256mb). If the PCs are up and running go to crucial's site and let it scan your comps for recommendations. You don't have to buy the memory there. DDR memory goes on big discount about once a month at CircuitCity.

6. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

All I could find out about the MBs you have posted was that the ON6381 came with a Dimension 3000. The OTC667 is in the Dell E210882 and the OWF887 I can't find!! Actually, I found it, but what I meant was that I can't find what machine came with it. Like dlb suggested, try the Dell Support Page. It may just save you some time and headaches!!;)

7. njmiano

njmiano Private E-2

I am trying out some computer utilities, and I just ran system info by Gabriel Topala. It says that I have a OTC667 motherboard. The computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 that can support 2 GB of pc3200 or 2700. I am using 2 gb right now, and it has no problem tapping into it when I get into some heavy music editing programs. Hope this helps.
    Also, I recently upgraded the memory, and got a great deal, with free shipping in one day, from NewEgg.com

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds