PCI card will it fit PCIx slot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oxooxo, Nov 14, 2013.

1. oxooxo

oxooxo Private First Class

Hi .
    The question is in the title, I have a creative sound card that fits a PCI slot, I am going to buy a new m/board an Asus one, what I want to know will my card fit in a PCIx slot.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, oxooxo.

Short answer: no.

Two different animals - sorry.

Attached Files:

3. oxooxo

Is there a modern m/b that will accept my card, I prefer one with bluetooth and WiFi,
    prefer Asus but will consider others. price is not important.

4. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

What m/b are you looking at?
    What expansion cards do you currently have that you wish to use?

Many computers these days have two PCI slots and a PCIe slot. Having one does not preclude having the other. Most m/b's will also have better integrated sound than years before. So this may be a non-issue from the start.

5. oxooxo

Hi.
    I have decided to go for an Asus X79 Deluxe M/B with 3.4Ghz Intel i7 CPU.
    Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 D-Type Premium Cooler, 32gig of Kinston Hyper X performance memory, I have also ordered a CREATIVE Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion 5.1 Sound Card, plus some updated software, I will use my present LiLan case, I went for the Creative card because it has a front panel, makes it easier to plug stuff in.
    It's my xmas present to me.

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

That's a high-end board and as cabbiinc noted, today's motherboards, and especially high-end boards come with excellent on-board sound. I would hold off opening the box on that sound card until you try the on-board sound. That motherboard (as all do) supports front panel audio and your Lian Li case should provide front panel audio connections.

You did not specify which 3.4GHz i7 you are getting (OEM without a CPU cooler, or a "boxed" CPU with a CPU cooler) but it is important to understand using an aftermarket cooler with a "boxed" CPU that comes with a cooler voids the warranty. This is because Intel defines "the product" as the CPU and the "accompanying thermal solution", and requires they be installed as per instructions - that is, together. It is also important to note both AMD and Intel provide excellent coolers fully capable of providing quiet and adequate cooling even with mild to moderate overclocking. If the warranty is not a concern, then no problem. Note I am just the messenger ensuring users have all the necessary information needed to make the best, informed decision for their situation. Read the printed warranties that come with your CPUs - it's in there, or on-line here; Intel CPU Warranty and AMD CPU Warranty.

I note by saving money on the sound card and Noctua cooler, you may be able to get a decent SSD to use as your boot drive - which would provide a significant performance boost.

Or...

I note you did not mention new drives or an operating system. It is also important to understand a new motherboard is considered a new computer. Only full, boxed "retail" Windows licenses can "legally" be transferred to a new computer. It is illegal to use an OEM/System Builders license that came with or was purchased for one computer on another computer. A disk “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or is labeled with “OEM", "OEM/System Builder”, “Upgrade”, “Academic Edition”, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". And most importantly, as users, we agreed to the terms of the end-user licensing agreement (EULA) when we decided to continue to use the software on the original computer. And that makes it legally binding. Note this condition also applies to Windows installed on a hard drive - it cannot legally be transferred to a new computer/upgraded motherboard.

With that in mind, if you need to buy a new license, and since you are planning on getting 32Gb of RAM, I recommend 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8, or one of the many free Linux alternatives.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds