PCI Express RIGS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ExOxE, Sep 21, 2004.

1. ExOxE

ExOxE Corporal

Hi,

Just curious, anyone here using PCI Express videocards?

I just saw on eyo.com.au that they are selling a G-Cube Radeon 256MB X800 Pro AGP for $719 AUD, yet for the same card, just in PCI Express format, they want $939 AUD...

With that extra $220 for the Express, is there much of a performance increase over the AGP counterpart.. if so..

WHATS THE BEST PCI EXPRESS BOARD for an Intel P4 2.8GHz, 1GB Mem, etc!!!!!!! :D

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

currently there is very little (if any) performance increase in a PCI-E card over AGP 8x. However, PCI express has the capability to go far beyond what an AGP slot could, and the extra bandwidth to do it in too.

the only benefit in getting a PCI express board now is for upgrades in the future.... but of course, most boards coming out in the next year will have BOTH an AGP8x and a PCI-E 16x slot... so IMO its not worth buying PCI-E until more capable cards come out that will take advantage of the technology.

3. ExOxE

ExOxE Corporal

Ahh ok, Well I`ll stick with my Epox EP-4PDA5+ Mainboard and will head towards getting a GF6800 or X800.. Either..

Then this time next year, I will start saving for a new guts (CPU, Mem, Videocard & Mainboard)...

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

AFAIK you can only get 775 P4s with PCI-E anyway

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

thats true right now. SIS and VIA should have chipsets for AMD boards out with PCI-E in a month, and nVidia in a couple months... but again, most of these boards will have AGP8X as well--except for the few that have 2x PCI-E 16X slots for SLI linking of two graphics cards....hello performance increase ;)

6. ExOxE

ExOxE Corporal

Alienware invented PCI Xpress, didnt they?

7. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Certainly not.

Alienware is an aftermarket PC building/resale company.

the only thing they have ever created are their cases--which more than likely are only designed by them and built in a factory by some other big name in the industry.

PCI Express is a complete revision of the PCI bus, allowing far more bandwidth available on a motherboard--once benefit being a PCI-E graphics connector.

8. ExOxE

ExOxE Corporal

Oh, I thought I read in a magazine somewhere that Alienware discovered PCI-Express at first, and also did a SLI model for show, hmm.. I guess you have to be careful of what pulicist your read these days, I took that information whole heartedly and didnt know any diffrent until now...

Thanks.,

David

9. MechGeek

MechGeek Private First Class

10. ExOxE

ExOxE Corporal

Ahhh Ok, well the publicity I read (I think I may still have the magazine somewhere) said that Alienware was the 'Brain Child' behind PC-Express, so that is why I was under that assumption, they covered that press release also, I fair bit of that link above is basically what I read, just a few little twists like any press release gets on the train to rumour-ville... :)

Thanks Guys

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds