PCI Express slot/PCI Express 2.0 card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RockinRoll, Nov 27, 2009.

1. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

I am looking into getting an EVGA GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0. The specifications say its interface is PCI Express x16 2.0.
    I have looked through my User's Manual for my motherboard, it says I have one PCI Express x16 slot. There is no mention of v1.0 or 1.1 or 2.0.

I want it for video watching, TV card support and editing, i.e. not for gaming.

Is this a good choice?

Will the card even work? I couldn't find out if the card is backward compatible.

By the way, my motherboard is the Essential Series desktop board D945GCcr

The sale ends on the 29th, so if I can get quick response that would be great!

Thanks for the help.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

All PCI-E 2.0 cards are backwards compatible with PCI-E 1.0 slots.

The card will be perfect for what you are asking for.

3. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Thanks, much for the help, collins!!

I'll order it today.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

No problem.

Can we help you with anything else today? :)

5. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Oops. I didn't get back to my email until today.

Since you offered, I'd appreciate any advice on how to stop "Spastic Pointer Syndrome." (hehe)

Do you know what causes the mouse pointer to sporadically jump clear across the screen?

I'm sure you know what I mean but, just in case: I've had a number of times when I'm hovering over a link and just as I'm clicking on it the pointer jumps and I clicked on an unintended link.

It happens while working in Windows, too, and jumps to another pane/program, etc.

It's gotten worse over the last few weeks. I've done scans for viri, malware, spyware. I've run Advanced System Care. They've all come up clean.

Best,
    Rock

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

What kind of mouse do you have? Trackball, optical etc.

7. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Hmm? I looked in Mouse Properties & Device Manager. It lists it generically: "Microsoft PS/2 Mouse"

It's a Logictech optical. On the mouse is, "Mouse/M:BT96a" & "831073-2000"

Driver: 5.1.2600.0

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

What kind of surface is the mouse on?

If you have a piece of cardboard, not painted or glossy, then try the mouse on that.

9. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

Okay. I'll give it a try.

I'm using a "WOWPAD." It's grey & black with a white grid on it.

10. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

That may be why. Optical mice can be "confused" by uneven surfaces such as some mouse pads.

11. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

-

Thanks again, collins!

That seem to do the trick. So, I guess, I'll be replacing my $15.00 mouse pad with a shoe box. :)

Best,
    Rock

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds