PCI mass storage controller question..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stu1a1, Jul 13, 2005.

1. stu1a1

stu1a1 Private E-2

Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion 8665C Win98SE computer and a HP Pavilion WinMe 7960 ...

The recovery disks in the 7960 WinMe wont read because they are scratched pretty good ...

I took the Win98SE hard drive and put it in the WinMe 7960 computer ...
    It went through the 'found new hardware, installing the software' ...
    When it came to installing the software for the Verto video card, it gave me an error ...
    I did that 4 times and said screw it.. I put everything back in each respected computers...
    Now, when I boot the Win98SE computer, at start-up I get :

----------

Resource Conflict - PCI mass storage controller
    Bus:01
    Device:09
    Function:02

<F1 for bio's / F2 to continue>

-------------

I hit 'F2' and the computer boots fine and everything works ... I can read my ROM's and everything ...

Problem :
    When I put in my 'First aid recovery disk' .. it works fine right up untill I click 'Ok' to start the recovery process ... Then it freezes ...

What happened?
    Are there drivers missing?

Thanks for your help ...

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

usually it is not good practice to boot one computer with the others boot drive and that's most likely the cause of your problems

if you are tired of pressing F2 you should check the device manager to see if there are any problems

but if it boots fine, what's the problem? Why do you need the recovery disks?

3. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

Resource Conflict - PCI mass storage controller
    Bus:01
    Device:09
    Function:02

<F1 for bio's / F2 to continue>
    Sounds like a IRQ problem. change PCi slot of your MSC

4. stu1a1

stu1a1 Private E-2

Appriciate all your help but couldnt get to switching slots .... A buddy of mine came over and typed 'system/restore' in DOS prompt ... DOS prompt said that the .sys has to be started in DOS to exceute that command ... He did that from the Start/Shutdown menu and now the Win98SE boots in DOS saying 'running your dos-based-program ... I let it sit there half the day watchng the blinking cursor while not being able to type anything ...

Can ctrl, alt and del to reboot and can F3 - F4 into safe mode ... Went into DOS prompt from there and the autoexec.bat and command all look the way they should look ... Reboot and it boots right back into DOS ?

Any help is greatly appriciated ...

damn, why do I have to screw with stuff I know nothing about... ;)

5. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

press f-8 during early boot.
    select command prompt only
    type in
    at the c:
    c:\scanreg/restore [note the forward slash]

in the menu, restore to an earlier date before messing with it

6. stu1a1

stu1a1 Private E-2

Thanks to all ... got my Windows to boot again ...

Still have the origional resource conflict ... I was going out of my mind without a computer ... will keep it like this till I get the extra money to take it to the computer shop and fix it correctly ...

Thanks again to everyone that responded ....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds