PCI Shortage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davep1553, Nov 3, 2006.

1. davep1553

davep1553 Private E-2

I'm hopeing somebody can point me in the direction of an acceptable solution to my problem.

My PC has 3 PCI slots and 1 super PCI (I think is what it's called) slot. The super is occupied by my video card and 2 of the PCI slots are occupied by my sound card and a TV turner (that I use a lot) problem is the 3rd slot is blocked by the video card for cooling purposes, so I'm hoping somebody here can point me in the direction of one of these. (In order of preference)

1) An extension cable so I can mount a PCI card where there is no port and wire it into the port blocked by the video card. (There's a spare hole in my PC's case but no port to connect anything to there.)
    2) An external housing that can hold 1 or more PCI cards and connect to the computer via USB or Fire Wire (I'd move the sound card over there)
    3) A good quality external sound card that's under or around $100 US, doesn't require any complicated software to be running on the PC (a simple driver OK, but I don't want to have some program always running in the background), has speaker out and mic in ports. (No external controls on it preferred, I have good speakers with built in controls)

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Attached Files:

3. davep1553

davep1553 Private E-2

those 11 cm riser cables appear to be along the lines of what I was thinking for #1 thanks.

however on second glance at my PC, even though there is an extra hole in the case to insert a device I don't think I can get one in there because there's stuff on the mother board in the way (some unused, very small, ports, and some capacitors) so if anybody has any ideas on 2 or 3 please share.

P.S. I said "good quality external sound card" when I should have said "decent".

4. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

Super = PCI express or PCIE, also what is hiding what?

5. Jazagod

What moBo?

6. davep1553

davep1553 Private E-2

PCI express (I knew it was something like that I just couldn't rember thanks)

The Vidio Card in the PCIE port blocks the neighboring PCI port so it has space to cool, it's got it's own fan and it blowes into that space and it blocks the hole in the computer's case intentinaly.

As for mother board I don't know, I didn't build the computer myself, I'd have gotten one with more PCI cards if I had. (I don't plan on replacing it so...) and there's no other PCI slots around the mother board either.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

mobo=motherboard

EDIT: I see you figured it out.

8. Jazagod

Is it possible to slide one of your cards a slot up( closer to your gfx crd) to make room?

9. Jazagod

10. Jazagod

this may be up your alley too, and tiger direct ships very fast, I 99.9% recomend , hope this helps you a bit:D

11. Jazagod

12. davep1553

davep1553 Private E-2

I can't slide up a card, as I said the gfx card blocks that port, theres no way to put anything in there.

ya actually i've looked at both of thoes and I'm not shure they are good quality

the first (creative labs) I get the impression you have to install special software that is allways running in the backround.

The second has recived a lot of bad reviews.

13. Jazagod

just exampling, though I dont see many more through searching, and tiger direct is a good source, hope you find what you need :~)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds