PCI Slot Fan Good or Bad for video cards?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pclover, Nov 14, 2007.

1. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I ordered this for my 7600GT and I said in the chat box Is this a good PCI slot fan for my 7600GT. 1 person said Yes and 1 person said No makes your video card hotter. What do you say? Should i use it or not? Does it make your video card hotter?

UPDATE: What if i move the fan like one or two PCI slots away form my videocard?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

I use a pci slot fan - they work very well due to the fact that they exhaust the hot air directly out of the back of the case, instead of recirculating it.

As I mentioned in one of your other threads mine is used with a 'passively cooled' (no fan) graphics card.

The person who said that they make your your card hotter may have possibly thought that having 2 fans so close together causes an issue ?
    Or perhaps if one fan is blowing in the opposite direction to the other one that they cancel each other out ?

Would be interested to know their reasoning behind the statement.

You may just want to try it out
    Take a temp reading before and after and see what happens :)

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

As Shane said try it!Yes shane having two fans a few inches apart both fighting to suck in the same air is the reason behind the statement,it all depends upon the case and setup I guess,if the the case has no air circulation at all the PCI slot fan may cool temps as cool air will be drawn in instead of the card circulating the warm air even though less air is drawn through the card.

I've never had a PCI slot cooler,I have heard from people that have tried them that say they don't work and yet have also seen reviews mostly at E stores saying they do work.

If it works I'll eat my words,let me know and post your case setup for future reference:)

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

My case is crap. Its a HP Compaq Case because I have a Compaq pc. I wish i could get a custom pc form ibuypower.

5. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

I own the PCI slot cooler you have ordered. It works very well. Currently I have it positioned in the slot nearest my CPU- it blows a lot of hot air out- for the noise and the price.

As said, if its working against the fan on your video card, its not going to do you any good, it might make things worse.

Try to position it near the heat, put not in a spot where it will "compete" w/ another fan.

-gimp

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

it would be able to cool so much more if there were a way to mount it above the GPU, that way you're cooling both sides. Id put it a slot or 2 below the video card as opposed to right below it for the reasons already brought up

no you dont, they suck. there's a reason they are so cheap. my friend got a pc from them, it performs fine but the build quality is garbage

7. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

What Rikky said about the two fans makes perfect sense.

With mine it dropped the GPU temp down about 15 -20 degrees Celsius
    but that is with no graphics card fan.

Give it a try and see what happens, if you have the free pci slots try it at a variety of distances from the graphics card and let us know what results you get.

Should be an interesting experiment :)

You may also want to have a look at what your case cooling is like in general as well

What are your other temps like ? (CPU, motherboard, hard-drives)

8. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I got my fan yesterday but i have not installed it. I will install it later today. Here is my temps now.
    [​IMG]

9. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

any updates?

10. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Yeah sorry for not posting. I did try it and it made my card like hotter by 1C at max load. So i did not advantage. :(

11. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I've done it with excellent results, but the video card wasn't exactly modern, and didn't have its own fan.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds