.pdf Reader 'hijack' Online, Win 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by smileycrossbones, Jan 7, 2016.

1. smileycrossbones

smileycrossbones Private E-2

My Win7 has adobe reader removed, and the only reader my machine will recognize is 'online.' There is no way to associate my free pdf reader so I can double click to open. I got the machine used and this situation was already in place. I can open the pdf reader, and then open the pdf by menu open, but I'd rather be able to double click to open, of course. When I try to use the context menu to 'open with' it will not find the free reader nor offer it for association. Is there a simple solution I hope? I don't find much info on pdf's here. Thanks in advance, as usual...
    Please note attached pic of the only pdf reader my machine will allow... :) ??
    Peace

Attached Files:

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Use the Browse button to find the installed pdf exe you want to use and then check Always use the selected program etc. If you want to try a different reader there are several available here at MG.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Here's a screenshot of the box that must be checked.

pdf icon hijack.jpg

4. smileycrossbones

smileycrossbones Private E-2

Please read my post again. I have the free reader. It simply will not associate. Only the reader shown in the attachment will show up in this dialogue box.

5. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

dr.moriarty's suggestion should help. When you check 'Always use etc' it should automatically create the correct file association but seems not to have done for some reason. You may find the file association is still set to Adobe Reader even though that was removed.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There are several well known free pdf readers. Even Adobe is free so it helps instead of saying I have the free pdf reader to say, "I use Adobe or Sumatra or Foxit or PDF X-Change"..

I use Sumatra on all our computers (four Win 7, two XP and two Win 2K) and since Xp and Win 2K systems are off the internet, we definitely do not need to be online to view any pdf files on the computer or even on a USB stick plugged into the computer.

So what is the actual pdf reader you are using? Obviously Sumatra is on the computer because your screenshot show it. If that is not the program you want to use, first click the browse button and find the exe for your preferred pdf program. After you test that the computer uses it for your pdf files, then uninstall Sumatra.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds