pdf submit works in FF not in IE or Chrome

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shadowchaser, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

I've created a fillable form with an email submit button which works fine in Firefox but not in Chrome or IE. The submit utilizes the mailto: statement. Any ideas as to why it will not work? Any help would be appreciated as it is on a live site and needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Can you provide more details on how your HTML code looks? It is possible that the code may slightly differ between browsers.

Also, how exactly does it "not work"?

You may also want to watch this topic at the Adobe forum of someone with a similar problem http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1048912.

3. Shadowchaser

Ok, fair enough. Let me explain completely what is going on here. I have created a fillable form using Adobe Designer 7.0. At the end of this form I have placed a Submit button which has the following properties:

On the Object ==> Field Tab

Type: Button

Appearance: Raised Border

Control Type: Submit

Presence: Visible

Locale: Default Locale

On the Object ==>Submit Tab

Submit: PDF

Submit to URL: mailto:mymail@myserver.com

everything else on this tab is greyed out.

I have not changed any of the other tabs.

This is on a WordPress site so what actually happens is the user accesses the .pdf file via a link which loads the .pdf in the browser for the user to fill out an submit. Therefore no native HTML is utilized it should all be the pdf extension in whatever browser is being used.

Now when you visit the site using Firefox 14.0 all goes well and you are able to submit the form through an email client (the default one on the client computer) which generates an email and sends the pdf as an attachment

When accessing the site via Internet Explorer 9.0 and Chrome you are able to fill out the fields but when you hit submit absolutely nothing happens and no report is generated. If you need more information please let me know.

You are going to find this funny but of course I will be watching that thread..... it's mine LOL! Thanks for the help though. I am looking into a php solution using phpformGenerator as I am not proficient in php coding. I really need to get this done quickly so any help will be appreciated.

Jack

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Ok, I understand - so the Submit button is actually inside the PDF.

Sorry, I do not know the answer. But it is sure that the Adobe Reader plugin is installed on the browsers; what Reader version do you have installed?

5. Shadowchaser

I have narrowed it down to the Submit button and how it works. Right now the Submit button is a standard Submit with the properties of sending the file as a PDF instead of the XML format. This works with Firefox but not with the other two browsers. My questions are these:

1. HOw can I get the other two browsers (IE and Chrome) to recognize and send the email with a filled out pdf file attached like Firefox does?

2. If number one is not possible, what do I need to do to get the readout of XML to be user-friendly (i.e. placing the fields in the proper place on the actual form for my client to be able to easily read them?

3. any other ideas or solutions?

Jack

6. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What I would do if I had your problem: try with different Adobe Reader versions (10.x, 9.x, 8.x) to see if it's a problem of the Reader plugin.

Over the weekend, if I find a few minutes time, I will make a small PDF form with a Submit button, and perform some tests on Firefox & IE.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds