Pdf-xchange Editor - Converts Ms Word Files To Pdf?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chim, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Chim

Chim Private First Class

From what I understand PDF-XChange Viewer is or will be discontinued. And PDF-XChange Editor is supposed to take its place. Correct? I've already been trying out this PDF-XChange Editor.

Now ... in the info at the Tracker Software page I read that one of the free features is that PDF-XChange Editor can convert MS Office files to PDF. I looked around in the toolbar functions and was not able to find out how to do it. Anyone know how to do it?

I recently installed the App PDF24 that can convert MS Office files to PDF. However, if I can find out how to do it with PDF-XChange Editor, it would be better because I'd be able to eliminate an App from my computer. AND I'd have a portable version of this capability as I also have the portable version of PDF-XChange Editor in my Flash Drive.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I know for Office 2007 (the latest version I have installed anywhere), I had to download something. Now when I click file save as, I have a choice of saving as a pdf. Later versions might just have this feature included.

I don't have the programs you mention installed. On older versions of Office, we use dopdf which is a phantom printer. We slelect it from the list and the file is converted to pdf from doc or docx.

What version of Office are you running before I go searching?

3. Chim

Chim Private First Class

I am using Office 2003.

Look in this link: http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

Scroll down a little bit to the Included FREE features:

You will see that the first one says:
    • (NEW) View Image and MSOffice® files natively and convert to PDF automatically!
    I don't know if that'll help you out any.

When I read that, I thought it meant I'd be able to just up and open up an MS Word Doc with PDF-XChange Editor and click on some convert button and BAMM! I'd have a PDF file. You know ... with the same type of ease that I can accomplish it with PDF24 Creator. Instead, all I got was some error.

4. plodr

It is a free feature BUT as I read it, you have to buy the program. Did you buy the program?

Chim likes this.
  5. plodr

I do know that dopdf, v 7, works to change Office 2003 doc files to pdf.
    I installed it on my husband's desktop computer and he regularly sends pdf files to the printer for a newsletter he is in charge of.

You can find some versions here
    http://www.oldversion.com/windows/dopdf/

Source: http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor/demo_limits

Still not clear on if the free version includes the above feature.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

And here lies your problem.
    PDF-XChange Editor does indeed open Microsoft Office files, as well as numerous other files including image files - even animated GIFs. And then you can save them as PDF files.
    But you need the Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS Add-in to open MSO files, and it's only available for Microsoft Office 2007.
    The publisher isn't always clear about which features are free and which require a license. Fortunately the pro features can be hidden.

7. Chim

Chim Private First Class

As Maxwell Smart would have said --- Ahhh, the ole You Gotta Buy the Program trick. :D
    Seriously, not only were you on the right trail, plodr, you hit the nail on the head.

I got to reading that 4th paragraph in the link you posted:

--- "The PDF-XChange Editor & Editor Plus includes the PDF-XChange Lite Printer, a virtual printer installed to your printers list for converting to PDF from any Windows application." ---

I got all excited as I thought, "That's it! The smoking gun! That's the trick! The PDF-XChange Lite Printer! So THAT's what that's for." I immediately opened up an MS Word Doc and printed it to the PDF-XChange Lite Printer and sure enough ... it converted it to a PDF document. Unfortunately, while seeing that as the Pro of this equation, I also immediately noticed the Con of this equation. The newly-created PDF doc had two watermarks at the top, prompting the user to buy the program. :eek: Doh! It was then after the fact that I read some more in that link and realized it specified in there that that's exactly what would happen.

Oh well. It wasn't a total loss. I at least learned some good information, not only about the PDF-XChange Editor itself, but also regarding what the heck the PDF-XChange Lite Printer was for.

Thanks for looking into this and for cracking the mystery, plodr.

8. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Thanks for the additional info regarding the Add Ins for Office 2007 that would solve my issue in question, Eldon. Definitely good to know.

9. Eldon

All is not lost...
    http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-lite
    Download PDF-XChange Lite Free - on the right.

In the ZIP archive is a sample file I just 'printed' from XnView.

Also, in PDF-XChange Editor, click Edit > Preferences... > Registration and check the box Hide all licensed features from toolbars and menus. Click Apply & OK.

Attached Files:

Chim likes this.
  10. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Heyyy! That did the trick! That PDF-XChange Lite Free worked, Eldon.
    Yep ... and without any watermarks. Excellent. Oh and I did also take care of that hiding the licensed features tip. Thanks a lot for those great tips, Eldon.

I did have one curiosity though. Okay, I installed the 32-Bit MSI Installer version. With that one we of course just select the PDF-XChange Lite Virtual Printer from the Printer List.

Now ... I'm wondering how the Zip Installer version would work. If I were to install the Zip Installer version in my PortableApps.com platform on my Flash Drive and didn't happen to have the MSI Installer version installed ... I wouldn't think that the PDF-XChange Lite Virtual Printer would appear on the Printer List in Windows, would it? You know ... if I tried to print to it from an MS Word Doc.

11. Eldon

You're welcome.
    What you installed is a 'PDF printer driver' aka virtual printer. You cannot install it on a flash drive, it's not portable.
    The ZIP Installer contains both the 32-bit & 64-bit editions of PDF-XChange Lite Free.

12. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Ahhh, okay. Got it. I'm good to go then.
    Thanks again, Eldon.

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds