Pentium 4 2.8GHz heatsink/fan with Pentium 4 3GHz+ CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mktech, Feb 16, 2006.

1. mktech

mktech Private E-2

Hello,

What would happen if I used a Pentium 4 heatsink/fan up to 2.8GHZ with a CPU over 2.8ghz.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Most likely your CPU temp would be higher than it should be if you had a correctly rated HSF for the CPU speed you were using.

plus if the CPU temp went above the cut off point for thermal throttling on the CPU then your CPUs mhz whould be reduced to allow adequate cooling of the CPU... thus some system slowdown, but no destroying the CPU, may see some software glitches.. dependant on what the temps where.

3. iandoh

iandoh Private E-2

I dont think anything would happen.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Uh, how do you figure? If Intel is anything like AMD, their HSF is different as newer CPUs come out. For exmaple, now they have heatpipes.

5. mktech

mktech Private E-2

The fan is 1/4 of an inch bigger on 3GHz and above. How much of a difference should that make?

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I wouldn't take the chance, you can get excellent HS and CPU fans specifically for your chip for AU$48 and that is a Thermaltake, therefore you could source a stock one a bit cheaper than that. Don't try and save a few bucks and damage CPU or potentially impair at minimal.

7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Yeah, there are plenty of cheap HSFs for P4 Socket 478 or P4 Socket 775 for as low as $8 US, depending on which processor you have.

8. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

The most important maint. aspect of running a computer is keeping the processor cool. The processor IS the computer. If your processor gets too hot the machine is unstable including random reboots and lockups. You seem to want a fast computer so don't cheep out on the cooler. It will save you a lot of problems down the road.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Maybe none.. but I have to wonder why Intel would make the point in reference documents that you need a certain HSF to provide adequate cooling to the CPU and keep it within acceptable parameters?

as mentioned above why take the chance when HSF for whatever socket cpu you're using can be relitively cheap, compaired to the cost on a new cpu? ok it should not as I said burn out but you may as stated have software lockups/glitches due to heat. But at end of day its your money and CPU, so what we say can only give you our insight into your question and if you do differently then thats your prerogative.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds