Pentium Extreme 840 3.20 Weirdness

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hopperdave2000, Feb 3, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Running the P4 Extreme Edition model 840 (s775) on an Intel mobo model D975XBX. 512mb DDR2/533. 250gb SATA2 hard drive. The problem is: the CPU is supposed to be running at 3.20ghz. That's what the box says and it's etched into the chip. BIOS reports that it's a 2.00ghz chip running at 2.80ghz (overclocked) but I haven't overclocked anything. Numerous CPU tools (Crystal, CPUID, Intel CPU ID tool, and several others from the Processor section here at MajorGeeks) all report the same thing. They all say it's a 2ghz chip overclocked to 2.80ghz. One of the tools reported the model number as a Pentium D 520, which is a 2.80ghz chip. I've done quite a bit of research and Intel says the CPU is fully compatible with the mobo. So... what gives?!?! The chip was purchased awhile ago off EBay. I almost returned it 'cuz it wouldn't even post on ANY motherboards until I tried the Intel D975XBX. Is it possible that the chip is 'counterfeit'? Could someone have printed/altered the packaging and sanded and re-etched the chip??? The other numbers from the chip (the little black label for example) all match the info on the package.
    Yeah- it's weird.... any help? suggestions? ideas? I'm thinking about flashing the BIOS but I'm not a big fan of BIOS flashing unnecessarily. I have another question about the BIOS revision numbers, but this has already become MUCH too long ;)
    THANX!
    hopperdave2000 :)

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

>>bump<<
    Is bumping allowed??? I don't wanna get in trouble, but I kind of need some help here!!!! THANX!!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds