Performance problem: "System Resources 48% free" :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by Randy Shughart, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Randy Shughart

Randy Shughart Private E-2

My computer is having some kind of mystery problem. Something is slowing it down, but I don't know what.

[​IMG]

I have a P4 running Windows ME, but only 128MB of Rambus RAM. When I start the computer, and right-click My Computer Performance, the best I ever get, with nothing running in the system tray, is maybe 79%. :(

I'm sure it might take 5%-10% of the CPU's power and resources to run the ME operating system, but isn't 79% low? Right now, I have a few windows open and am running AVG anti-virus protection, so now the system resources are at 48%.

I've run Adware SE, Spyware Doc, AVG, Hijack This, Spybot, etc, and I can't find any lingering problems. I will post the Hijack log below, just in case.

I can't even play counter-strike 1.6, because my CPU is too bogged down.

Any help or suggestions about freeing up system resources?

Thanks!

[Log Removed : Inline logs not accepted here. Please upload as attachment -Kodo]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2005
  2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

3. Randy Shughart

Randy Shughart Private E-2

star,

That seems to have helped a bit. Startup is faster and more resources are free.

Here's what I'm down to on the msconfig Selective Startup:

Taskbar Display Controls
    ScanRegistry
    TaskMonitor
    SystemTray
    USBMMKBD
    Hidserv
    Delay
    AVG7_CC
    AVG7_EMC
    AVG7_AMSVR
    ATIPTA
    ATISmart
    ATIPOLAB
    ATIPOLL

Can I lose any more of these?

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

"Taskbar Display Controls" allows resolution changes on the fly. It can also be disabled under Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> General.

"ScanRegistry" is a bit trickier in that it could be a vital and legitimate Windows program you need to leave, or it could be a worm or Trojan.

If the process name of "ScanRegistry" is "nsrvnt.exe" or "scanregv.exe", then they are Trojans.

If it's "scanregw.exe" and located in "C:Windows" or "C:Winnt", then it's a legitimate Windows file and is required to run at startup.

If it's "scanregw.exe" but runs from the registry RunServices key as opposed to the Run key, then it could be a worm.

"TaskMonitor" is useful, but not vital. It checks the disk usage patterns and stores this information. Disk Defragmenter uses this information to optimise your hard disk. It's up to you.

"SystemTray" is not required. (It can also be a worm depending of the process name)

"USBMMKBD" is up to you. It's a USB multimedia keyboard for HP systems. It allows the use of special function keys on USB keyboards.

"Hidserv" is required only if you are using USB Audio Devices. Examples are USB multimedia keyboards with volume control and web-ready keyboards. It's up to you.

"Delay" is used on HP PCs to help prevent conflicts or timing issues on fast computers. It's not vital and is up to you.

All three "AVG's" should be left as they are for your Anti Virus and are required to run at startup.

The last four are for an ATI video card and it's up to you if you leave them. They aren't vital, but some can be handy.

BTW, it's good to limit the number of startup programs, but you really need more ram!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds