Periodic Freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by txldude, May 22, 2005.

1. txldude

txldude Private E-2

Hello,

About a week ago, my computer started periodically freezing. When I turn on the computer, everything freezes for a second and then unfreezes, but then freezes again a second later. When it does this, the light that says the computer is thinking comes on. There are consistent spaces of time between the freezing intervals. It also makes the thinking noise, and the mouse stops. This also happens whenever I open a program for a few minutes (sometimes the whole time while the program is open). I get disconnected from the internet a lot, and when I try to connect, the computer freezes for about 30 seconds.

I have tried to resolve this problem at the Virus/Trojan forum, but I was told that it seemed like a Hardware problem. I cleaned my HJT log, and I am at quite a loss as to what to do.

I don't know how much to put here, so I'll put a lot of it. Here are my specs:

OS Service Pack: Service Pack 2

CPU type: Intel Celeron 4A, 2600 MHz (6.5 x 400)
    Motherboard Chipset: Intel Brookdale-G i845G
    System Memory: 253 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS type: Phoenix (10/02/03)

Video Adapter: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB)
    3D Accelerator: Intel Extreme Graphics

Tell me if anything else is needed. Thank you for any help you can give!

2. ZerithP

ZerithP Private E-2

Okay, what kind of network card are you using? My old network card would stall my computer if I did something that required a lot of stress on the network like Napster or Torrent downloads. Sounds like you are having the same issue I had, except mine didnt happen as soon as I started up.

3. txldude

txldude Private E-2

Is a network card the same as a network adapter? If so, I have "Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC."

Not sure if that's what you were talking about. Thanks :)

4. ZerithP

ZerithP Private E-2

Yeah that would be what I am asking for. You say you get disconnected from the internet a lot? It definitely sounds like a network card issue, which means you MIGHT have to buy a new one. I wouldn't do that until you know for sure that it is the problem. Also, try updating the drivers for your network adapter, you may be running on outdated drivers and updating them might fix this issue.

5. txldude

txldude Private E-2

Thanks, I will see what I can do!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds