1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Permanantly Delete Hard Drive Files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jkov420, Dec 17, 2006.

1. jkov420

jkov420 Private E-2

I plan on donating my laptop, but I read in PC World that even if I reformat, that people can still retreive deleted files. They suggested using software that overwrites the hard drive. My question is, what is the best software out there that I can use to insure that no one can retrieve my information?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Chances are that nobody will recover your information anyway! Its is an expensive and time-consuming procedure to perform autopsy on a disk.

Also, a format WILL overwrite data. (A non-quick format, that is. A quick format only deletes file indexes, leaving your files awaiting to be overwritten - ie. still recoverable).

However, if you're still worried, you can use a drive cleaning utility like Active KillDisk to securely wipe your hard drive.