Permission denied

Discussion in 'Software' started by littlebobbie, Aug 6, 2014.

1. littlebobbie

littlebobbie Private First Class

:confused
    Windows 7 ultimate pro. Plenty of hard drive space. 16 G ram. okay now the problem. Had a crash. Hard drive died. Installed new one . Now some of the files I transferred over from backups is denying me permission to open them. I keep getting messages that access is denied, that I don't have permission. the ONLY user on this computer is me. I am the administrator and that is the account I use. I have gone into the file properties and removed the read only...but it does not stay removed. I close open again and it is back as it was. I go into the file properties and into the permissions and I have all the permissions needed but Special. That stays grayed out. HOW do I change this so ALL my files are accessible. I have this show up with pictures as well.. as my raw files and the different formats of my digitizing software. Most are okay but the few that are doing this are ones I really need.
    Any help?

2. GermanOne

GermanOne Guest

You could try to take ownership of the files. Just a little batch code (*.bat):
    Code:
    @echo off &setlocal
    set "folder=C:\wherever"
    takeown /f "%folder%" /r /d y
    icacls "%folder%" /grant administrators:F /t
    pause

Change the path in line 2 to where the files are placed. The script works recursively for all files in all sub folders. Surely you have to right-click and "run as administrator".

Regards
    GermanOne

3. littlebobbie

Sorry to sound ignorant, but where do I put the batch code? Windows 7 is not like the old DOS and win 3.2

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Copy what he posted and paste it into notepad then save it as a bat file.
    If notepad adds .txt after the .bat extension, remove it, so you just have something like change_permission.bat
    Put the .bat file on your desktop. Right click it and select "run as administrator".

5. littlebobbie

Okay that I understand. Thank you!

6. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Then, for each folder/file you are locked out of you can simply open the same batch file for editing (R click > Edit or simply drag 'n' drop the BAT file onto Notepad) and replace line 2 with the new path, save it, and run it again as plodr explained. Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat.

7. littlebobbie

I am watching in fascination as it does this. Really fantastic way of changing all these at once. Thank you ALL !!!! for this help.

8. littlebobbie

Well I watched it as it said success on all of them...but guess what, the ones that denied me are STILL denying me. Exact wording is:
    Access to c:\users\business\desktop\ (name of file) was denied. It has something to do with an icon extension maybe as the folder at the upper left hand corner says EmbIconExt ...nothing else. So will have to look at some programs I have and see if they have to be reloaded maybe. Thank you all. atleast the OTHER files are working okay..it is just these embrodiery files and some of the clipart used in JPG format. Must be a connection maybe.

9. GermanOne

GermanOne Guest

So are you saying that you still don't have access to all the files where access was denied before you run the script? Or did it help for a lot of those except of a tiny handful?

Unfortunately the error message doesn't tell us why the access failed. To be honest I'm really unsure if that could help you but unlocker software often helped me in similar circumstances.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_unlocker.html
    Please let us know if that was a way to solve the problem :)

Regards
    GermanOne

10. littlebobbie

duh me. I never thought of trying an unlocker. I will give that a try. I watched the batch file run and saw it say successful with all the files...but those few are still green and will not allow me to open them. I tried removing encryption but they weren't encrypted. Nothing I did through what was available to me worked. so I will try the unlocker. Thank you so much!

Just went and unlocked ONE of the folder of files...it said they were not locked. I ran it anyway...it said successful but the files are still green and will not let me access them.

11. GermanOne

GermanOne Guest

Hmm, in that case I'm at my wits end. Sorry :(

12. plodr

13. littlebobbie

Yes I do.

14. plodr

15. littlebobbie

I can ask Steve (programmer) about it. But I can access most of my files, just those few. It isn't just the embroidery files in formats but my raw files made by Digitizer Pro AND some clipart in JPG format. Also txt files in that folder. Even my Word document that I have in the folders. Whatever is doing this is affecting EVERY thing in the particular folders. All are greened out. If I try to use my digitizing program to open the raw files it tells me I do not have permission and to contact the owner or administrator, which I am. There has to be something I am missing. When I click on properties the read only will be blue. I uncheck that then save but it does not stay saved. I have unchecked EVERYTHING in the advance folder to see if that helps...nope. when I apply ANY changes I get an error that denies me access... grrr...hair pulling time.:cry

16. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Right click on any folder containing files you are unable to open and click Properties and then the Security tab. What group or usernames are at the top? If one of them is your PC's name or Administrators (<PC's name>\Administrators) click on it and see what permissions are showing in the Allow or Deny columns. All should be allowed. If they are not we'll try to talk you through changing them.

17. littlebobbie

I have done that numerous times...I have granted myself ALL the permissions, but it won't let me do the special permission. That stays grayed out and won't let me choose it. If I go into the other parts it is the same. I AM the owner. I AM the administrator. I have about 4 folders that are doing this to me. One folder is just clipart the rest has clipart, word files, txt , jpg And my embroidery files. All in green. I have taken off encryption. NOTHING has helped so far.

18. Earthling

All you need is full control. You do not need special permissions. I would still like to know what user or group name you are looking at when you say you have given yourself all permissions. Sure you have given them to a user but which one? Just saying you are the administrator is not sufficient.

Another thing you could try is activating and logging on to Win 7's hidden administrator account and seeing if you can open the files then (you will be able to). To activate type net user administrator /active:yes into an elevated command prompt. It isn't advisable to use the hidden administrator account all the time though. We need to fix this permissions problem.

19. littlebobbie

Where do I type that? I don't understand the elevated Command prompt. There appears to be two accounts that say Administrator with it. BOTH have full access and control.

20. Earthling

Please be more specific. I need the exact name of the user or group to which you have given full permission. The term Administrator in Windows has several different meanings. A screen shot of the FOLDER permissions for this user would be helpful.

To use the hidden administrator account type cmd in Start > Search and right click on cmd.exe above and Run as administrator. Then type the net user command I've given you This administrator is not the same at all as you running an Administrator account. Confusing innit? ;)

EDIT - you need to log off and on to this new account to access your files.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  21. littlebobbie

will try then come back and will do a screen shot if I can

22. Earthling

OK. BTW you might want to edit your location ;)

23. Earthling

BTW, have you tried simply creating a new folder in your Documents and copying from an inaccessible folder?

24. littlebobbie

I have attached a screen shot of what my properties on blocked file looks like when I open it and click on either "user". I tried to do a screen shot while in the hidden administrator but there is no way to access the shot I made. I only showed my accounts and that they all have full access. But still I cannot get in. :cry:confused

Attached Files:

25. Earthling

Are you saying you cannot open files in these folders even when logged in with the hidden administrator account?

EDIT - getting late here. I'll check in again tomorrow.

26. littlebobbie

by edit location ???? don't understand. As to copying the files over. I could get them off the backup drive but that is it.

I dragged one out to desk top but viewer will not let me open the jpg. I had to cut and paste to put it back. then I tried to copy one of the raw files and it says: You need permisssion to perform this action/ You require permission from BUSINESS-PC\BUSINESS to make changes to this file. Well BUSINESS-PC\BUSINESS is the main account I use. I tried a cut and paste of the raw file and it would move it ...when I double clicked on it to open as it is associated with my digitizer program, it started to open and is just sitting there and doing nothing.. Won't go past the splash screen. so I went to task manager and had to close the "won't open file" message. Then the program opened. when I tried to open the file through the program directly I get the error "you don't have permission to open this file. contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission" The file is still green

27. littlebobbie

the files are not even accessible to me when in hidden Ad mode. They are in the ONE account on the desk top. How do I get to them?

28. Earthling

You might want to look again at the spelling of Virginia ;)

29. littlebobbie

typo. lol when you have two bad eyes and squint at the screen that happens alot. Even funky lenses do not help on some things...like fast typing.

30. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Correct me if I'm wrong; don't programs like IObit Unlocker only unlock files from processes, not unlock user permissions?

What you're dealing with is file permission issues; the files are locked from YOU opening and reading them, not locked from deletion because a process or program is using them.

Now, looks like Earthling's gone for the night/day, depending on where in the world we are. ;) In the meantime, I'll follow up further on copying of your files.

Literally copy them. You have put files onto your computer from your backup that you can't open because permission is being denied. Highlight at least one of each type, then right click and choose Copy. Paste the copy/copies into a folder that holds files you are allowed to open. Can you open them? If so, continue copying across the types of file that this has worked for and then delete the old ones.

31. littlebobbie

It says I do not have permission to do that function. I tried right click then copy then paste to a new folder, It wont do it. I can't even attach one of them here.

32. Earthling

Seems that green signifies the files/folders are encrypted. Know anything about that? Are you using Bitlocker encryption or any other encryption system?

33. Earthling

Just to expand that last question, is it possible your backup program encrypted the files during the backup process?

34. littlebobbie

Sorry had to sleep. Getting ready for church. I removed all encryption from the files. ALL of them. That shows when I go into properties. When I get home today if I have a chance and half a brain , I will go into my backup and choose just those files and see if I can do it again. I really don't know if I used an encryption program. I didn't intentionally if I did. Bitlocker Encryption IS in my system files as a default program. I will check that out and see if that stinker could be the problem. But not right now...thank you very much. You have been very patient with me.

35. Earthling

I'm off out myself for the next few hours but will check back later. It does appear that this is an encryption rather than permissions problem. Clearly the files were encrypted either prior to or at the same time as the backup was created so you will need to use the same encryption method on your new setup, whatever that may have been. Don't know the first thing about encryption myself, other than that you need a strong password when using it. We might need more help.

36. littlebobbie

While printing out my bulletin I checked on the Bitlocker. It says it is not turned on, on any of the drives. I don't recall ever using it. I prefer a straight backup that I can access my files as if they were still on the hard drive. I have to go through the process on Windows to restore a backup and that might be the issue. Something IT did in the backup process...If I get my cloud drive up, it will be a straight backup of all files. I have a program that will do that.

37. littlebobbie

I am giving up for now. Too much headache. I restored them yet again. Once to a test folder on the desktop, same results...green and cannot be accessed. Then again to one of my backup drives. SAME results. How they got in that shape to begin with is a mystery. I will search out some kind of program to work on them. Again thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds