Permission

Discussion in 'Software' started by watchntv, Mar 1, 2011.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I had a laptop that I had to log on with a password
    I didnt take off this feature when I went to best buy and took out the HD and put it into a "rocketfish" HD case to use as an external drive
    so now when I go to open my files, doc or videos, I get told I cant open it without permission and I dont get a screen to give me permission?
    so how do I access these files?

2. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I get told this

Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.

3. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

oh man guys, I usually get an answer by now!

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Most likely the password on your laptop was for the laptop itself not the HD. So what you are seeing now is just a permissions issue. Taking ownership of the files will probably solve it.

Which version of Windows are you using?

5. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I think so, I have win 7 on my computer I am using to access that external; drive
    I think it used XP

I right click on the documents and Im able to open them, but I can't get the ownership to change for the video files...
    and I still can't get them open
    I am using win7 and i have fulll owner access to take ownership
    how do I do this?

6. Groinsh0t

Groinsh0t Private E-2

Make sure your logged in as an admin account,
    right click on the folders, go properties, security, edit.
    Choose your user account, and give it full control. If you have a lot of data, go get a coffee.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds