Persistant ZIP icon !? & New Context menu labels?

Discussion in 'Software' started by polymorpher, Dec 5, 2008.

1. polymorpher

polymorpher Private E-2

First off i'd like to start with the icon for ZIP files. Now every damn icon related to archived files was taken by winrar. When i decided to change them i simply went over the file types and added my own icons via the advanced menus.

The only one that doesn't want to change it the damn icon for ZIP archives.

I swapped every registry entry i could find about it and its still the winrar icon. If winrar can take over it so can a guy manually but hoW?

Annoyance number 2.

Explorer's contect menu for "new" files.

How the frack the order of the New files to be created and how do i change their labels.
    I know hot to add or remove but no idea about editing.

The best i got is that is located there but if i change the names of the strings they rename back ...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\ShellNew]

I want to change them from "this is a new blah blah blah stupid whatever file . extension"
    All i want is a simple description like "new . extension" or "newVid . extension "

Is there a tool that permanently changes folder icons or i have to do it manually.
    The last time i did that i took me a whole day. And when i updated to SP3 it was bye bye custom icons...

2. polymorpher

polymorpher Private E-2

ZIP FILES SITUATION SOLVED!

They need to be changed here.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR\DefaultIcon

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.ZIP\DefaultIcon

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OTHER REGISTRY ENTRIES YOU WILL DAMAGE THE WORK FLOW OF YOUR ARCHIVES...
    Some reg keys that seem relative to icons are not.

Good news is you can always fix it by Uninstall and Reinstall Winrar...

To do that first find the icon its using, just copy any of your shorcuts and change the icon on the dummy shortcut target the exe, ico or dll files of your archiver and when you find the icon use the following registry search search

"Path:\to\file\containing\the\icons\exe or ico or dll,NUMBER"
    Number is the icon number if there is more than 1 in the corresponding icon holder.
    first icon is 0

Examples:

"C:\Program Files\Custom Icons\rar.ico,0"
    This uses the first icon from rar.ico

"C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe,1"
    This uses the second icon from the winrar.exe

This works for any other archivers that overwrite the default zip icons, you just have to find the corresponding program and the reg key it uses for icon definition.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds