personal wireless hotspot questions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elfqueen33, May 30, 2011.

1. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Hi there,
    I am new to personal hotspot divices but I know they exist where you can plug something in to a car or run on batteries or a regular outlet and have internet access for your computer.

I am moving somewhere remote for three months and I need such a devise. There is cell connectivity in the area but no landline and minimal power. I need advice on these divises...so that I can have battery powered internet connection.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what's available and the prices?

Thanks!
    Elfqueen

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You can get a power converter that plugs into your car lighter or auxiliary outlet to power the laptop. And you can check with your cell phone provider to see if they market a USB wireless dongle. But where as the charger is relatively cheap, the USB dongle will not be. Most in the US are charging @$60 a month.

3. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

My "hotspot" device, as you call it, is a usb device. It looks like a flash drive and connects to my laptop via usb. It is powered via the usb. There is no external power source for it. It is a cellular based connection on the Sprint network for data. Is that the type of device you are talking about? Not really a hotspot for me since it's just for my own laptop and not one of those throw on the table and 5 people can connect to it type of devices.

As long as my laptop has power and I have decent cell phone signal in the area, I can connect to the internet. For remote locations and road trips, i have a car charger cord for the laptop that plugs into the cigarette lighter. When i can't find that :) I have a small inverter that I plug into the cigarette lighter that provides 110v power. I bought it at sears for about $25. It's good for light use.

4. elfqueen33

elfqueen33 Private E-2

Thanks! This has been very helpful! Blessings

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds