Phase Change Cooloing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mimart7, Oct 22, 2007.

1. mimart7

mimart7 Private E-2

Phase change cooling has been available for while. I have seen ads promising cpu tems -35 to -65 degrees celsius. Has anyone tried one of these exotic beasts. They cost anywhere from $800 t0 $900 to try with no refund, etc. Can they be used full time, or only if you desire to over clock past 4 ghz? for short periods of time I am looking for anecdotal info + real world use

Thanks,
    Mike

2. languy99

languy99 Corporal

my personal opinion is that if you really decided to go past water cooling its not worth it. I have water cooling on mine now but i am not clocking any faster than i was with air cooling, the biggest reason i did it was for noise, i can hear the hard drive working now compared to before, all i could hear were fans. My opinion is lets say you can get and additional 1GHz more with phase change over water cooling, is that really going to worth it? I mean in real life situations like video encoding or something like that lets say it saves you 10-15 minutes compared to before. Is that worth the $900 price tag? Not in my book, with that money i could buy a quad core and use my water cooling to cool it and still be just as fast if not faster then most computers out there. Computers is like everything else out there how much money are you willing to invest, because once you get close to the top it takes a ton of money even for the slightest gains. Truly when do you stop, and think about it by adding phase change now you adding noise again, the compressor and fans needed for the unit (at least compared to my cooling setup). But in the end its up to you, and what you want to do.

3. uberuberuber

uberuberuber Private First Class

I have one that i made and i only use it when i do oc's with tons of extra voltage. Basicly for benchmarking not for every day use.

Yest they cool very well but you pay for that cooling with a bunch of down sides. Just a few are.

Condonsation. When ever you do below ambiant temp you get condonsation. This can fry your stuff if you dont take the nessary precautions. These can be messy and some times make it so going back to normal cooling is very hard due to the clean up needed.

Power needed. They suck alot of pwer. Basicly your running a small frige when you compare it to a a water pump or tec.

Some cpu's have cold bugs and dont like the cold temps.

I would just get a good water cooling system you you wont need to worry about heat. If you wanna kick it up a notch and go below ambiant start looking into some TEC's. They are pretty cheap.

To show you what a small little tec can do. Here is one i got come one of those cheap coolers you can pick up localy for like $20. They plug into the cars cig. lighter outlet and run a small tec and fan. I had this cooler laying around so i thought why not chop it up and slap her on a cpu.

[​IMG]

Thats a 3.0ghz P4 just sitting on the cold plate after about 2min. I wanted to get a frosty pic so i can join that club lol. But even that cheap tec keep that cpu at below ambiant when i fired it up.

But for 4ghz oc's you can get away with a good water cooling system. Paschange is for those who wanna put a p4 to 7ghx or a c2d to 5ghz. Most of todays cpu's can run at 4ghz with a good water cooling system.

4. J-Bo

J-Bo Private E-2

I'm not going to do away with mine. If you want to have a mean overclock then phase is the way to go.

5. Creativeballance

Creativeballance Private First Class

If you want to get that much power, why don't you just buy a PC /w multiple processors built into the MB? It's not like your computer is using bose-einstien condensate for a super-conductor.....

6. ngc2398

ngc2398 Private E-2

nothing to add but holy crap!!!LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds