Phenom ii X6 1100t VS Core-i5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chocoolives17, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Chocoolives17

Chocoolives17 Private First Class

Well Here i am asking more questions:-D

I am determining whether to go with an Intel or AMD build. I am looking for a certain price range-150-230. If anyone has any insight to this, What would have more OC potential? A Core-i5 or a Phenom ii X6 1100t? I would go for a quad core i5 though.

Any thoughts would be nice.

Thanks
    Derek

2. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Hi there, what will you be doing with the pc? ie gaming, video editing.

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Actually, having had a think the new sandy bridge i5 CPU is the one for you.

The i5 2500k can overclock to 4.5Ghz on air in seconds using the unlocked mulitplier and costs around £180 in the UK.

Here is a quick comparison http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=288

4. Chocoolives17

I am a PC gamer. No PS3, XBOX 360, or anything, BUT i also create music on a day-to-day basis using FL studio. That programs isn't overly intense on processors until there is around 25 or 30 tracks being played back at the same time.

I have ideas for Oc-ing that include radiators and mini-fridges. I am currently Running at the max OC a phenom ii 940 can do without unsafe voltages. 3.5ghz, while its enough i just would like to get raw performance. I need new ram and would buy an 8gb kit of ddr2 but its not worth it when i can spend around 430 bucks and build a newer faster machine with my current video card. (GTX 465)

5. Chocoolives17

Yeah That comparison definitely sold me. Usually AMD processors are more power efficient than an Intel Processor. The Intel Processor you mentioned beats the AMD one out in every test.

6. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Yeah the new SB processors really are the dogs *******.

Just make sure you select a socket 1155 motherboard from Asus, MSI or Gigbabyte and a couple of stick of DDR3 dual channel ram. If you want 8GB select 2 x 4GB as they are easier in many ways and 4 sticks really hampers any overclocking.

What heatsink have you chosen?

If you need a hand OC'ng just post on here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds