1. jhmauldin

jhmauldin Private E-2

I received a spoof email trying to get my info. I did click on the link because it looked just like paypal, but when I saw what it wanted, I opened another page and went directly to paypal and saw that it wasn't them.

Although I didnt' give them any any info and did change my password on paypal, I am worried about the safety of my computer since I clicked on the link.

What should I do?

I have a good antivirus and use xp firewell and also have a router.

thanks
    jeannie mauldin

2. PhilliePhan

PhilliePhan Guest

Hi Jeannie,

If you didn't give them any sensitive information or download any e-amail attachments (not likely in phishing scams), then you probably have nothing to worry about.

I would suggest that you take this opportunity to have a look at Chaslang's recommendations here ---> How to protect yourself from malware

Some things to note:

-- Be sure your AV (and other tools) is updated regularly

-- Update your Java as per Chas' instructions

-- Install Spyware Blaster if you have not already done so

-- Even though you are probably quite safe behind a router and Windows Firewall, you might want to consider one of the software firewalls in the above link. They are "bi-directional" and will alert you to outgoing traffic (such as a baddie trying to "phone home")

Lastly, if you feel your machine has some malware, you might want to work through the steps in the Read & Run Sticky at the top of the forum.

Best :)
    PP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds