Phone line unplugged. I don't know where to plug it in?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by captjacksparrow, Nov 12, 2009.

1. captjacksparrow

captjacksparrow Private E-2

I know it is a simple fix but I do not know it. The phone line unplugged and I don't know where to put it back in. The phone isn't working but I have cable tv and computer. Where do I put it back in?

Into the back of the computer? The router? or the modem?

I don't want to start messing with wires so I am going to wait until I hear from someone.

Thanks in advance :cry

2. cake

cake Corporal

not sure what your "phone unplugged" message is from since it appears you have cable internet. possible you installed drivers specific to dialup and changed your connection settings in IE Options or whatever browser you're using?

i have cable internet connected via CAT5 cable into ethernet port (they're bigger than the phone ports) in the tower & cable modem (won't have a phone port). i use Firefox and Tools > Options > Advanced > Network tab > Connection Settings, only "no proxy" is checked (may be different based on your particular ISP).

in IE8, Tools > Internet Options > Connection tab > LAN Settings, nothing is checked. again, yours may be different depending on your ISP. if you had a connection problem recently, using the Setup button isn't what you needed; you need to get rid of anything in Dial-up and Virtual Private Network. may solve that message problem.

you don't have anything to plug in since you don't have dialup. if you plugged in that cord, you'd just have an extra cord that doesn't do anything. no clue about that message unless you've made some recent changes to some connection settings. i've never had a message like that.

3. captjacksparrow

I found it. That's the trouble with trying to do something way past my bedtime...I think the boys just knocked it out when they were using the puter last night.

Thanks to Cake for the fast response and possible solutions. I do appreciate it!

4. cake

cake Corporal

i totally missed the "phone not working" in your original post, since i only have an iPhone (didn't need cable phone) but glad things worked out.

and people say New Yorkers got no "couth" (former New Yorker; emigrated to Colorado).LOL

5. captjacksparrow

We got couth but no money. Taxes are high with no reprieve in site. How's Colorado compared to NY living expenses? Snow's about the same :p

6. cake

cake Corporal

i "emigrated" quite awhile ago, so couldn't say. but, i'll bet you MY Broadway (just a main street, here) for YOURS that the cost of living is lower...especially if you brought your NY wages/salary here.

snow here (Denver) is nothing like New York, especially in recent years. weather is usually characterized by: "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute." we're talking sunny, 30F and you only need a light sweater. or, can get up to 75F dead smack in the middle of winter. once the sun comes out, snow has a tendency to sublime (turns directly from the frozen state into vapor/gaseous state) rather than melt unless there's a prolonged (a week or so) cold snap.

got our first snow a week ago (maybe a few inches, not sure) and it was GONE in a day or so. hasn't snowed since and i haven't needed anything more than a sweater, yet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds