PHP FTP file upload

Discussion in 'Software' started by checkitout, Aug 20, 2009.

1. checkitout

checkitout Private E-2

Hi,

I am trying to set up a database development site that allows users to upload files, but there is a 2mb limit on my server that I don't think I can change. It's a shared hosting account, so I'm not getting my hopes up. I've already tried .htaccess and it gave me a 500 error. I contact the hosting company to see if it was possible for them to change php.ini for me or something, I'm guessing they're gonna say no.

I was wondering if it would make a difference if I used FTP. Probably not, because the file still has to go through the form and get posted?

Is there any way to do what I'm trying to accomplish?

But, I am creating this for a very specific group of users (in an office) that are all using IE, which has built in support for ftp, right? Not sure what this entails, I don't use IE, but I read this in another thread. I'm going to look into that now.

Any thoughts on my large file upload dilemma are appreciated!

Thank!!

Jess

2. markj

markj Private E-2

What is exactly the limit you are referring to?

Limit that you cannot upload files larger than 2mb? That certainly cannot be right, as such hosting would be absolutely pointless.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds