Pictures in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrreatRon, Oct 7, 2010.

1. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

My co-worker is using OE with XP3 and suddenly she cannot get attached photos in the body of the message - she can open them individually from the list.

She had had a crash and lost MS Office 2003 so we installed Open Office and I had to change some settings so other documents could be opened but I don't know what the problem is here.

Any ideas?

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

In OE, check Tools > Options > Security, clear the check box for 'Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail', see if your symptoms change.

3. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

Thanks for your suggestion but that didn't solve it.

Any other ideas?

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Attached files will never show in the body of the message. For that you have to use Insert > Picture from the menu.

5. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

Well, pics often are shown in email messages that I get and I use OE and XP3. Why would that be true in my mail and not hers? Also, she used to get message with pics - it has only recently changed.

BTW, I can't find Insert anywhere in OE - can you give me some guidance on that?

Thanks!

6. Earthling

It all depends how the sender composed the email. If they attached a picture file to their message you can only see it by clicking on the attachment icon, and never in the body. Only if they usd Insert > Picture do you see it in the body.

To use the Insert menu you have to have a new message open and the cursor has to be in the message field.

Attached Files:

7. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

OK. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that we both received the same email but in mine the pics are in the body of the message but in her's they don't appear. This is a new phenemomen for her. I wonder what was done to change that.

Thanks for your enlightenment.

8. Earthling

Take a look at the Read tab in Tools > Options. Is there a check mark on Read All Messages in Plain Text?

9. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

I am off until Monday - I will check her OE on Monday. On mine there is no check mark on the mentioned setting. Will be interesting to see how her's is set.

Thanks!

10. nuu_bee

nuu_bee Private E-2

Displaying of image attachments inline can by controlled with the registry:

in regedit go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{random, long ID string}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\

and find "Automatically Inline Images"; setting this to '0' will hide attached images while '1' will show them inline.

11. Earthling

mmm... that key or DWORD doesn't show at all in my registry (single POP account in OE6)

Is this XP, or later?

12. nuu_bee

nuu_bee Private E-2

XP SP 2 and OE6 here. Sometimes it has to be created by the user. In regedit Select Edit -> New -> DWord, name it "Automatically Inline Images" and set appropiate value.

13. Earthling

So why is it necessary at all? The average user would expect inline images simply to display automatically, and wouldn't have a clue that that might be necessary.

14. nuu_bee

nuu_bee Private E-2

Well, average user may be one day faced with the fact that e-mail containing dozen of 4000x3000 images needs 2 hours to render in outlook's window...

15. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I don't believe that's technically correct. Whether the email contains inline images or images as attachments, the total size of the downloaded message is going to be the same.

To avoid downloading huge images embedded or attached to an email message, the user should use a webmail interface for his email account. In most cases, an email account set up on OE can also be accessed via web browser, i.e. webmail interface. But, sometimes, the user is unaware of this.

16. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

That did the trick - Many thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds