Ping Transmit Failed, Error Code 65

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Laskid, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Laskid

Laskid Private First Class

I have no internet connection at home now, so I wanted to get some ideas before I get home from work and try to figure this out. I had Windows ME and everything was working. The system is about 3.5 yrs old, so there was a lot of crap on it. I upgraded to Windows XP and now I cannot connect to the internet. I have a netgear router and dsl service. When I try to ping the router, I get 'Transmit Failed, Error Code 65'. The strange part is that I'm getting DHCP assigned addresses from the router. I read the MS article about Zone Alarm and ICS, but I haven't turned ZA on for a long time. Is it possible that during the upgrade the OS mixed something up? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Zone Alarm is for certain the culprit.

Uninstall it, and the problem should go away.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

To answer your question, yes, the upgrade probably did it.

You should never, ever, upgrade an OS with antivirus or firewalls on the system.

Especially going to a completely different OS.

4. Laskid

Ok...I'll try that when I get home. If it works, I'll update the thread tonight. If not, I'll be on here whining tomorrow. Thanks Adrynalyne.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sure thing :)

Let us know how it turns out.

Sometimes, ZA won't uninstall properly if its been upgraded over.

So you might have to contend with that as well.

6. Laskid

Good call Adrynalyne. Uninstalled Zone Alarm, which btw I forgot was there because it's been awhile since I used it, then reset my modem and tested through the router. Obviously, I'm back online. Thanks for the help, and I'll keep better track of what's on my system from now on! Thanks again.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Glad to help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds