Pink Lines through screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matgar11, Dec 7, 2012.

1. matgar11

matgar11 Private E-2

I am working on a computer and there are pink lines that run through certain programs and certain times. i tried booting up linux and boom random pink lines so im guessing its a hardware problem. But please let me know any ideas.

2. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

My first guess would be graphics. Integrated or separate card?

Sam

3. matgar11

matgar11 Private E-2

Its a card. But what is weird is i have to open fire fox or another program and get a few programs open then it shows pink lines. and everytime i get pink lines they are in different places. Should i try to get a new graphics card?

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Since Linux and Windows both show the same thing you can pretty much rule out a driver problem. I think you are correct it is a hardware problem and as scajjr suggested your graphics card is the culprit.

I think you do need a replacement. The only things I can suggest are removing and reseating the card. The other thought is if it has more than one video output you could try connecting your monitor to the other output. I have had an old card where one output had become damaged yet the other one worked fine. In my case I needed an adapter so that my VGA monitor could connect to the DVI output.

5. matgar11

matgar11 Private E-2

Yes ive tried reseating the card and that is the only graphics option in that computer. im going to get a new graphics card today and see if thats the problem. Ill keep you posted. Thanks

6. sach2

I think that is the solution.

I was saying if the card itself had more than one output, one could have become damaged. In my case the card worked fine but the VGA connection had become loose/broken and didn't work. The DVI connection which had never been used worked fine. It was just a thought and I happened to have an adapter around. I think you are best in just getting a new card.

7. matgar11

matgar11 Private E-2

Oh ok yah this graphics card only has one output. Thanks for that idea I am getting a new card today

8. matgar11

matgar11 Private E-2

Ok so i was wrong there is a DVI and VGA port on the graphics card using either port still has the problem what ive also tried is

Un plugging both hard drives and booting to linux.. still lines
    booted up computer with one stick of ram(tried both, one at a time).. still lines so could it still be graphics card?

9. sach2

I'd still be thinking graphics card. I can't think of anything else that would affect the display colors. Unless you have another monitor to try. A short in the monitor cable could also affect colors.

10. matgar11

matgar11 Private E-2

yes ive used different monitors and cords so its not that. I am picking up a graphics card tomorrow so ill update this post tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help!

11. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

Ensure the fan on graphics card is running if it has one as you can end up with all sorts of artefacts on the screen if that fails or runs slow, I've come across it a few times.
    What card is it?

12. matgar11

matgar11 Private E-2

ok i installed graphics card it worked perfectly until this morning. now when i turn on windows 7 as soon as the flag pops up it freezes and restarts i try to repair and it gives me error 0x8000ffff please HELP!!

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try to start in safe mode. What happens?

14. matgar11

matgar11 Private E-2

Same thing just restarts

15. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

Can you try the linux live CD again to check the card?

16. matgar11

matgar11 Private E-2

I tried both cards with windows but I will try Linux when I get home

17. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It isn't the drivers for the cards because the video driver would not load in safe mode. If it reboots in safe mode, then there is something else wrong with the computer. Without an error code (reboot on error can't be turned off because you can not get safe mode to load), it is next to impossible to guess what is wrong.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds